[KS] two formal questions - Japanese/Korean

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Wed Apr 16 14:03:10 EDT 2014

Many thanks for all your interesting and informed replies! That is much
appreciated.

The summary (*for my own purposes*) is:
- if quoting TITLES (of books or articles) for Japanese I use no spaces
if the author/publisher has no spaces there, while for Korean I do
insert spaces, even if the original (e.g. in case of older
publications) has none
- as for Japanese personal name: I will not use any spaces (in spite of
more and more Japanese websites and also publishers doing exactly that,
also in the official ISBN record registrations)

Regarding Stefan Knoob's notes -- also very much appreciated: yes, that
is understood, but please consider that (a) my inquiry was ONLY about
spacing in TITLES and PERSONAL NAMES, no more than that.

And (b), you sure anticipated that I would respond to your somewhat
loaded entrée ::::)

QUOTE:
> As you are so unfortunately mixing up questions regarding Japanese
> and Korean practices, and all in one breath, one is indeed tempted to
> blow your warnings in the wind and embark on a long discourse about
> assertion of cultural difference and (perceived or real) vestiges of
> colonial domination.

Well, okay, it was a bibliographic style question that relates to
orthographic rules in both countries. Had I asked (but here I know the
answer) how to capitalize TITLES in American English and in British
English, would you then have said the same, because part of North
America was a British colony, and would you have brought in issues of
assertions of cultural difference? (The capitalization rules are
different in both countries.) **Asking** about rules for spacing in
both countries/languages "in one breath" does not indicate anything
about asserting cultural difference or similarities -- does it?

Furthermore, you wrote:
> As an aside, while writing groups such as 漢字의研究 together was not
> too unusual in mixed script, Hangul groups such as 한자의연구 have
> not been written together for a long time, if ever!

That all depends of the category of texts (e.g. in many advertisements
in newspapers Han'gül would be written without spaces until at least
the 1950s, if not longer). And in the 19th and earlier 20th century
*all* variations existed, as there were no clear orthographic (and
spacing) rules then -- see below.