[KS] new book

Janet Poole janet.poole at utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 3 21:03:41 EST 2014

Dear list members,

I am happy to announce the recent publication of my book When the Future Disappears: The Modernist Imagination in Late Colonial Korea (Columbia University Press).

The book looks at literary and cultural production at the height of wartime imperial fascism in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Covering a range of literary and philosophical authors, such as Ch’oe Myongik, Yi T’aejun, Kim Namch’on, Ch’oe Chaeso, Pak T’aewon and So Insik, I explore both the frightening and the beautiful, and sometimes surprising, possibilities that literary writing held for those living at that time. Chapters discuss a strange prevalence of nostalgia, antiquarianism, writing in Japanese, colonial photography and the aesthetics of fascism, amongst other topics. I think it speaks to both literary and historical concerns, so please take a look if you’re interested:

When the Future Disappears: The Modernist Imagination in Late Colonial Korea
https://cup.columbia.edu/book/978-0-231-16518-1/when-the-future-disappears

Best wishes to all,

Janet Poole

Associate Professor