[KS] formal question (which version of Chinese characters?)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Mon May 25 14:31:34 EDT 2015

Hi Andrew:

Just two things in your last response that confuse me:

> Even if the publication primarily deals with Korea, if you mention
> non-Korean people, there's no reason to give their name in
> 'Sino-Korean'. It would arguably be like transcribing a Russian name
> into hangul, or romanizing a Japanese name with Sino-Korean
> pronunciation.

(a) Sino-Korean: I am not a linguist. Thus far I used the term
"Sino-Korean" to basically mean the same as traditional Chinese
characters (as they are used in Korea) -- of course *in* Korean
pronunciation. Maybe the correct, precise definition of "Sino-Korean"
is more complex (including possible semantic differences of Sino-Korean
vs. traditional Chinese characters as used in China?

(b) Whatever the answer to (a), I am confused by what you mean using
Sino-Korean for non-Koreans? Most obviously none of us would give the
pronunciation (in Latin letters) following the Sino-Korean
pronunciation, just because I (we) would, for example, use (NOT
Sino-Korean but) traditional characters for the rendering of a
post-1949 Chinese personality from the mainland (or a new term or a
book title). I am not quite sure therefore how to understand you here.

To Marion:

You bring in an additional issue, one that's indeed tricky. HOWEVER,
the example case you give:
 >> if you have materials from Taiwan and the mainland and use
Simplified, (...)
That is not a real-world example! I have not seen anyone doing that in
Korean studies -- just the other way around: names, terms, and titles
in simplified characters from mainland China would be rendered in
traditional encoding. If we think for a real long time we may even here
come up with a problem case -- but hardly so, and in such an
exceptional case one can always use some parenthesis to clarify.

As Gertrude Stein already phrased it -- or was it me?:
A dilemma is a dilemma is a dilemma.
Your responses indicate that Korean studies as a field of study has no
strategy of how to deal with that dilemma. Maybe so because it is not a
field of study, and an archaeologist has different needs and views than
say a historian. Reading your replies I still do not know what the
*simplest* solution would be (for a general, historic text, nothing
linguistic).

Thanks.

Best,
Frank