[KS] formal question (which version of Chinese characters?)

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Wed May 27 07:20:57 EDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

1) Frank wrote:

> The basic question is:
> Should one pay consideration to the different semantics of character
> variations (Korea, mainland China, Japan) beyond the correct
> representation of the transcribed pronunciation in each language -- or
> is a "representation" of Chinese characters only acceptable when we do
> so 1:1 (mirroring the actual variations used in that culture and/or
> text)?
"The argument given by Andrew Logie's struck me as especially sensible
and convincing:
>> traditional, Simplified and Japanese kanji are now - synchronically
speaking - independent scripts used to represent different languages <<
He thus sees Chinese characters within each LANGUAGE rather than
understanding the characters as just a script system. "
Both very sensible , indeed. Any deviation from that should only be done considering policies, being them political or publishing house/periodical ones.

2) "rather > than Quan)? If we 'push' that a little, we then get sentences like: "In
> 1990 Mr. Kwŏn 权 xx visited his his nephew Mr. Kwŏn 權 yy in Seoul."
 Mr. Kwŏn 权
 Mr. Kwŏn  權
Mr. Quan 权
 Mr. Quan 權
Mr. Gweon
Mr. Gwon aso... --- Look at the namecards. If you dont have them, look where this is printed...

Greetings to everyone
Werner