[KS] unicode

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri May 29 23:06:27 EDT 2015

Great, clear explanations, Professor Cheong!
All understood.

I just opened the KOREAN and the JAPANESE Unicode fonts by Google, the
already mentioned "Noto" fonts:
http://www.google.com/get/noto/#/
==> Noto Sans CJK JP   (= Japanese)
==> Noto Sans CJK KR   (= Korean)
So, these are "Made in America" fonts, and very recent ones. What I see
is that the actual 'glyphs' inside the font are 100% identical (between
these two fonts). Both consist of 61768 glyphs. Both include, for
example the "yo" and the "ryo" versions (= identical visuals, as we
know), both at no. 40720 and no. 58821 (of the internal
counting/numbering). ... BUT, when (using that earlier mentioned
TypeTool program) I do a search entering the Unicode OR the character
itself -- for both, I only get to see both in the KOREAN font. In the
Japanese font (again, all the glyphs in there are identical to the
Korean one), then I only get to see ONE of the two .... that is, the
"Find" function only shows me one. In real life computing that means
exactly what you explained. If Andrew would, for example, copy/paste
the (a) yo and (b) ryo (遼 / 遼) to some word processor and then use
the Japanese version of the Noto font set, the overlaying code pages
would "redirect" one of the two to be identical with the other (and
that information is thereby lost).

So, the history of this is quite different from what I had thought it
is. Thank you for this.

Don't you agree that Unicode lost a very big chance there (except for
the Korean font encoding, where it is less important, because there are
not that many such characters with dual pronunciation in Korean)? I
mean, if that Korean method of dual (or tripple etc.) entries would
have been done with the Japanese Kanji, the that would be completely
reversible. That seems to make so much more sense than creating a one
way conversion.

Thanks again.
Frank

http://web.archive.org/web/20100328042929/http://tclab.kaist.ac.kr/~otfried/Mule/unihan.html.