[KS] formal question (which version of Chinese characters?)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sat May 30 23:04:47 EDT 2015

A small observation -- Hong Kong:

Hong Kong, and I never cared paying attention but just saw this
accidentally -- as we are in this localized vs. traditional character
debate now -- seems to have adopted multicultural orthographic policy
of sorts: that is, allowing both mainland Simplified ADN Traditional.

http://goo.gl/HJ7Fgk

QUOTE:
"Patrick Tam (譚耀文), who once used to be a leading TVB actor, has not
filmed a single memorable Chinese drama since leaving Hong Kong for
Mainland. His villainous eunuch role in The Emperor’s Harem <后宫> has
left an impressionable mark on Mainland Chinese TV goers, but the drama
itself was poorly received critically."

Now, that actor, because he is originally from Hong Kong is referred to
using the Traditional (Tan would otherwise be 谭 and not 譚.) But the
TV drama he played in from mainland China is referred to by using
Simplified (后宫 instead of 后宮 -- just one stroke less.) There are
other such examples on that same page.
Hong Kong citizens, on the other hand, seem not really free to be
encouraged to say so if they prefer using Traditional:
http://goo.gl/hFYmsm

In any case, it seems then that even within the new, "reunified" China
attention and space is given to both "cultures" within China. In this
case, with Hong Kong, consideration is given to the fact that the
cultures have hanged into different directions over the past 100 years
due to different political systems.

Best,
Frank