[KS] Korean academic journals online

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun May 31 20:57:52 EDT 2015

Let me add a note about the "Korea Citation Index":

The index very useful to as a bibliographical search engine, but much
less so to find "free" *full-text* versions of articles. This does in
no way REPLACE commercial databases such as dbpia.co.kr and others
(even RISS charges for many -- obviously, and naturally so, because
publishers need to make some profit somewhere).

But here are a few little practical tips -- an EXAMPLE:

Korea Citation Index
https://www.kci.go.kr/kciportal/po/search/poTotalSearList.kci
I type the name one of a well established Korean art history journal in
the search window:
미술사논단
Looking at the list of articles I then get, the FIRST one that shows as
"downloadable" (PDF) is #6 -- with that "KCI원문" tag, as Brother
Anthony explained.
--> "고대 동남아시아의 귀걸이 전통과 그 영향"
However, dbpia.co.kr, for example, offers them ALL as downloadable PAID
PDFs.
See e.g. #2 in that list:
"초상에 담지 못한 사대부의 삶: 이명기와 김홍도의 <徐直修肖像>"
--> http://goo.gl/gQ8VYZ
5,000원 is hefty for a single article, if you are not at an institution
that subscribes to such an commercial service.

So, here come my three tips:

(1) Very many of these journals do have their sub-pages (home pages) at
whatever institution publishes the journal. If this is a journal from
your own field of study, you may spend a little time to find the home
page of the journal, and then just download the articles you are
interested in there, for free -- not always but very often possible.
For THIS example this would be:
http://www.casasia.org/page.asp?pageid=art22&pagenum=020300
-->
http://www.casasia.org/page.asp?pageid=art22&pagenum=020300&d_seq=488
    -->http://www.casasia.org/file/digest/34-5%28hwa%29.pdf

Sometimes these article postings at the institutions are also indexed
by Google, but often the Web admins have added a "index" tag to the
folders that contain them, exactly because they also distribute them
for a fee over those commercial sites. With the above example, this
seems the case -- a Google search leaves me without luck. In short,
with journals you expect to have published several important articles
for your field of interest, it does make sense to spend some time to
look for their home pages, and then bookmark the sites for future
searches.

(2) If you know the home pages of the journal or the publishing
institution that an article you try to get the full-text PDF for, you
can much faster find it by limiting a Google search to the that domain
and the actual file. Just put the domain name PLUS : at the beginning
of your search into the Google search window.

(3) The "National Digital Library" (국가전자도서관) has a wonderful
search engine that searches in various full-texts databases of various
Korean institutions and then shows you exactly (on top) how many
entries it found and where -- and then it links directly to them. Not
always to the free versions, though -- as in our above example. But all
over I found this to be an amazingly (!!!) useful search engine.

Best,
Frank