[KS] Inquiry from a New York Times columnist

Lieber, Ron lieber at nytimes.com
Thu Jul 21 19:51:20 EDT 2016

Hello -

My name is Ron Lieber, and I write the Your Money column for the New York
Times -- all about anything and everything that hits you in the wallet. I
write often about families and money -- how not just dollars but also
wisdom and values are taught and passed between generations.

On that note, over the years Korean-American friends of mine have told me
about a tradition where new college graduates (or teenagers or college
students or even some older adults getting their first paychecks at a new,
prestigious workplace) buy a gift for their parents after they start their
first full-time jobs. I've heard about everything from handing the entire
paycheck over in cash to buying red thermal underwear for both parents or
lingerie for their mothers.

I'm trying to trace the origins of this tradition and write about how
different Korean and Korean-American families interpret it today. I think
it's something that all young adults might want to mimic in some way,
whatever their family background.

If you can help, I'd be grateful for an email reply -- even if it's to
share a story about a gift you've given or received.

Thanks so much...

Ron Lieber
The New York Times
Your Money columnist
lieber at nytimes.com
212-556-1514
http://nytimes.com/lieber

"The Opposite of Spoiled" is my book about how -- and why -- to talk to
kids about money. For more information, visit http://oppositeofspoiled.com

Twitter: @ronlieber <https://twitter.com/ronlieber>