[KS] Inquiry from a New York Times columnist

Young-Key Kim-Renaud kimrenau at gwu.edu
Fri Jul 22 21:16:37 EDT 2016

I am not sure if this is a Korean custom, although filial piety is a strong
cultural tradition in Korea. There is a great deal of variation in how
filial piety is expressed, but some things are systematic. This is not in
my opinion.

However, I have had two colleagues from Taiwan, who did give their first
paychecks for a full-time job to their parents. It seemed that it was a
very common practice there.

Young-Key Kim-Renaud, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Korean Language and Culture and International Affairs
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures,
The George Washington University
http://eall.columbian.gwu.edu/young-key-kim-renaud
1-703-527-0115, 1-202-994-7106