[KS] Fw: Gwangju Uprising, particularly records of accounts from Americans

Baker, Donald Leslie Don.Baker at ubc.ca
Tue Mar 26 18:42:44 EDT 2019

An account by Charles Huntley can be found at https://themay18.wordpress.com/2005/12/03/when-it-wasnt-fun-the-kwangju-incident-of-may-1980/  Rev. Huntley was a Presbyterian missionary.

His wife Martha published an eyewitness account as well, but I think it appeared in an obscure missionary journal and I can’t find it.

Arnold A. Peterson, another missionary, published a booklet called 5.18: The Kwangju Incident.

The eyewitness testimony of David Dollinger, a Peace Corps Volunteer at the time, can be found at https://themay18.wordpress.com/2005/11/23/eyewitness-testimony-of-david-dolinger/

And Tim Warnberg published his eyewitness account in Korean Studies back in 1987.

And, of course, there is the account by the American anthropologist Linda S. Lewis:   Laying Claim to the Memory of May, from the University of Hawaii Press.

I hope this helps.

Don