[KS] Monash Beyond Borders Korean Studies Seminar Series Seminar 4

Sandy Nguyen sandy.nguyen1 at monash.edu
Thu Sep 21 21:51:15 EDT 2023

Apologies KS list members. This is the updated version of the seminar
deatils. Please disregard the previous email. Thank you and so sorry for
the trouble.

Dear KS list members, please note the following event. You can attend in
person or remotely. If attending remotely please register using the Google
form and a ZOOM link will be sent to you one day prior to the seminar. Hope
to see you there.

All the best,
Sandy

*Monash University Korean Studies Research Hub (MUKSRH) presents:*

*Monash Beyond Borders Korean Studies Seminar Series*

*Seminar 4*

‘K-pop Fandom’s Role in Shaping Knowledge of Gender and Sexuality among
LGBTQ+ Fans

Dr Thomas Baudinette (Macquarie University)

Monash University (Clayton Campus)

321 LTB (Learning & Teaching Building)

19 Ancora Imparo Wy, Clayton VIC 3168

3rd October 3pm

*Bio*

Dr Thomas Baudinette is Senior Lecturer in Japanese and International
Studies at Macquarie University. His first book is Regimes of Desire: Young
Gay Men, Media, and Masculinity in Tokyo (University of Michigan Press,
2021). His second book is Boys Love Media in Thailand: Celebrity, Fans, and
Transnational Asian Queer Popular Culture (Bloomsbury, 2023).

*Abstract*

The global impact of the Korean Wave has motivated a wealth of scholarship
to critically investigate how fans draw upon K-pop to make sense of their
gendered identities and sexual desires. Despite this flourishing previous
literature, the experiences of LGBTQ+ fans of K-pop remain under-explored
and under-theorized, a gap I fill within this presentation. Through an
analytical approach sensitive to the affective discourses produced by fans,
I establish that Anglophone K-pop fandom operates as a “queer space” that
normalizes queer sexuality and gendered performance through the production
of feelings of security, attraction, and relief. Significantly, I
demonstrate that K-pop fandom provides a safe space for LGBTQ+ fans to
navigate their mental health during times of intense hardship, such as the
recent COVID-19 pandemic. Further, my analysis of 17 LGBTQ+ fans’
discourses uncovers the seminal role that both the primarily visual nature
of K-pop and the performances of the idols who sit at the genre’s heart
play in producing queer knowledge. In particular, I reveal that the playful
gendered performances of K-pop idols facilitate fans’ queering of
heteropatriarchal and heteronormative ideologies and therefore represent a
key resource that such fans deploy to articulate their own queer identities
and experiences. I conclude the presentation by reflecting on how
Anglophone LGBTQ+ fans negotiate their recognition of the fact that the
K-pop industry represents one of the central mechanisms whereby the culture
industries support the promotion of heteropatriarchy and heteronormativity
in the South Korean context. I insist that a queer theory of the Korean
Wave must always already be grounded in international fans’ reflexive
engagement with this fundamental paradox. In developing a queer theory of
the Korean Wave, I posit that the global spread of K-pop into a diverse
number of receptive cultures around the world helps unlock the genre’s
queer potentials.

Register here <https://forms.gle/g3nWGUuoXrDNpt3P9> for a ZOOM link.

Please contact Monash University Korean Studies Research Hub Coordinator
Ms Sandy Nguyen for further details.

Sandy.Nguyen1 at monash.edu <Sandy.nguyen1 at monash.edu>