[KS] Qing–Chosŏn royal exchanges or marriages?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun Sep 24 15:58:53 EDT 2023

Dear Jonathan:

Very nice to hear from you!

Your notes: yes, understood. The short, preliminary summary was in the
context of the 17th to early 20th century, not ancient times--thus the
thread's subject line.

Alright, let's delve even further back, all the way to the Three
Kingdoms period in what is now Korea. From the information you shared,
it's evident that even during that era, royal intermarriages were
scarce. This is your era of expertise, and you mentioned only a
handful, perhaps as few as three or five such intermarriages. In
contrast, when we look at Europe, we find that the predominant methods
of political consolidation were warfare and inbreeding. (If we stroll
around in any of the numerous European castles and have a real close
look at some of the portraits on display there, we note the startling
consequences of those inbreeding practices.)

You've mentioned five royal intermarriages, which appears to be more of
an exception than the rule, Yet, even those seem to support the idea
that such intermarriages were more prevalent in societies characterized
by horizontal and competitive relations between kingdoms, such as
Silla, Koguryŏ, and Paekche, than under conditions of Confucian
tributary dynamics (a united China + "the rest").

Again, I am just trying to wrap my brain around this--thinking out
loud, no more.

Thank you!
Frank