[KS] [New Book] Activism and Post-actvism: Korean Documentary Cinema, 1981-2022

Jihoon Kim jihoonfelix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 01:58:54 EST 2024

Dear Koreanists (Apologies for cross-posting),

I'd like to announce the publication of my third book, *Activism and
Post-activism: Korean Documentary Cinema, 1981-2022 *(Oxford University
Press, Feb 2024). Having spent more than six years working on the project
and seeking its publisher, I manage to give birth to *the first-ever
English-language monograph *on the history and political-aesthetic
tendencies of South Korean nonfiction films and videos in nongovernmental,
noncorporate sectors, which have developed in close dialogue with South
Korea's sociopolitical, economic, anc cultural shifts since the early
1980s.

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/activism-and-post-activism-9780197760413?cc=kr&lang=en

I hope that this book will be used for various readers, not only scholars
and students committed to documentary studies, Korean studies, and/or
Korean/East Asian film and media studies, but also people from different
disciplines (political science, anthropology, history, gender/sexuality
studies, urban studies, environmental humanities, trauma/violence studies,
etc.) who seek audiovisual materials in relation to their teaching of the
modern and contemporary Korean society and its history. For the book's
intro and flyer (including a discount code for its purchase via OUP
website), please visit the link below:

https://www.academia.edu/114052680/Activism_and_Post_activism_Korean_Documentary_Cinema_1981_2022_ToC_intro_and_a_discount_code_

Also, for any queries on hosting invited talks and screenings related to
the book, as well as writing a review for a journal, please contact me via
jihoonfelix at gmail.com

Best Regards,

Jihoon Kim, Ph.D in Cinema and Media Studies
*Activism and Post-activism: Korean Documentary Cinema, 1981-2022 *(Oxford
University Press, 2024).
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/activism-and-post-activism-9780197760413
*Documentary's Expanded Fields: New Media and the Twenty-First-Century
Documentary *(Oxford University Press, 2022).
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/documentarys-expanded-fields-9780197603819
*Between Film, Video, and the Digital: Hybrid Moving Images in the
Post-media Age* (Bloomsbury Academic, 2018/16).
http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/between-film-video-and-the-digital-9781628922912/

Professor of Cinema and Media Studies
Chung-ang University
website: chungang.academia.edu/JKIM