<html><head><base href="x-msg://16/"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">wooow, thaank you all for your helpful replys! I really appreciate that!!<div><br><div>and yeah, sorry I meant "ch´angjak p´ansori" ("newly created p´ansori").</div><div>Actually I wanted to write about Ch´angguk instead of ch´angjak p´ansori because for that there were more english literature available (especially from Killick). Also I wanted to analyse in this context the piece of Achim Freyer "Mr. rabbit and the dragon king". But it was really demotivating to work on something I am not convinced about. (In my opinion a musical-like form that ruines the real essence of a minimalistic p´ansori performance)</div><div><br></div><div>That´s why I decided to write about ch´angjak p´ansori, but not the ones that are sung in a new way accompanied by an orchestra. I wanted to focus on the ones, that keep the "one"-man show shorted to 30minutes with updated storys. </div><div>And for those I could not really find monographs (in a western language) about. A few articles are not enough. I was hoping for 70% english literature and 30% korean..</div><div>For korean literature our library system in Germany, Hamburg is too bad, so that I don´t get free access to these, except of RISS. The database of KISS, DBPIA, <a href="http://papersearch.net">papersearch.net</a> and Jstor are not available for me. Or is there a trick how I can get access for that from here? </div><div><br></div><div>I read about the Lee Jaram piece. Jan Creutzenberg wrote about the aspects from Brecht in this piece. Really interesting.</div><div>But I wanted to focus more on the "ch´uimsae" and the changes of the room constellation that affects the audience negatively in this context; the difference and common ground of "traditional" and "newly created" p´ansori.</div><div>Anyway that might not be enough for a 80 pages work. So I have to work on my problem statement. </div><div>I might also contact a few of you directly.</div><div>So far, thaaank you all!</div><div><br></div><div>Adina</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br><div><div>Am 25.01.2012 um 04:57 schrieb Hilary V. Finchum-Sung:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type="cite"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="border-collapse: separate; font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div>Adina Cho and list members:<br><br>Perhaps I was distracted by the use of 'ch'angjak' by itself....<br><br>Anyway, if you are researching 창작판소리 (not simply called '창작') I forgot to mention you might want to check out recent videos and reviews of 사천가, a contemporary pansori created by 이자람, a graduate student in my department. She has been performing this for years, and in 2011 she and her team revised it and performed a series of shows in the fall. It is, basically, a one-person show but accompanied by the typical buk with the addition of percussion ensemble and a trio reminiscent of the Greek chorus. If you type 사천가 into google search, up will come news stories, video, and reviews. It may be an interesting case study, or at least a starting point in discovered the great diversity of performances labeled '창작 판소리'--you will discover it is not a 'genre' but a general category referring to newly created pansori-esque performances.<br><br>Best,<br>Hilary Finchum-Sung<br><br><blockquote style="padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 5px; margin-left: 5px; border-left-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-left-width: 2px; border-left-style: solid; margin-right: 0px; "><br><br>--- Original Message ---<br><strong>From :<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></strong>"Hyoungbae Lee"<<a href="mailto:hyoungl@Princeton.EDU">hyoungl@Princeton.EDU</a>><br><strong>To :<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></strong>"Korean Studies Discussion List"<<a href="mailto:koreanstudies@koreaweb.ws">koreanstudies@koreaweb.ws</a>><br><strong>Date :<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></strong>2012/01/25 수요일 오전 4:42:59<br><strong>Subject :<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></strong>Re: [KS] Ch´angkjak<br><br>I think Adina's topic is about Ch'angjak P'ansori (창작판소리).<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>I am not a music specialist, but 창극 (Ch'angguk), mentioned in previous messages, seems to be different from 창작판소리.<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>While 창극 is a theatrical version of P'ansori stories, it is not P'ansori per se.<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>창작판소리, which came up in 20th century, is a term contrasted to 전통판소리(traditional P'ansori).<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>Adina,<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>You may also want to check recent issues of P'ansori yon'gu (판소리연구), the journal of P'ansori Hakhoe (판소리학회).<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>There are articles about 창작판소리 (written in Korean, though).<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>Hyoungbae Lee<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>Hyoungbae Lee<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>Korean Studies Librarian<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>(<a href="mailto:HYOUNGL@PRINCETON.EDU">HYOUNGL@PRINCETON.EDU</a>)<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>-----Original Message-----<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>From:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a href="mailto:koreanstudies-bounces@koreaweb.ws">koreanstudies-bounces@koreaweb.ws</a><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>[mailto:koreanstudies-bounces@koreaweb.ws] On Behalf Of<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a href="mailto:adina.cho@gmx.de">adina.cho@gmx.de</a><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 4:47 AM<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>To:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a href="mailto:koreanstudies@koreaweb.ws">koreanstudies@koreaweb.ws</a><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>Subject: [KS] Ch´angkjak<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>Dear koreanists,<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>I am making researches for my master thesis about the modern forms of P´ansori: "Ch´angjak" (창작) but its so hard to find any literature. Hae-kyung Um seems to be the only one who ever wrote something about it.<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>Does anyone has some other literature recommendations or video clips of those performances?<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>Thanks,<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><br>Adina Cho<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br></blockquote><br><br>Assistant Professor<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br>Department of Korean Music<br>College of Music<br>Seoul National University<br>Email:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a href="mailto:finchumsung@snu.ac.kr">finchumsung@snu.ac.kr</a><br>Phone: 02) 880-7989<br>Web:<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><a href="http://music.snu.ac.kr/">http://music.snu.ac.kr/</a></div></span></blockquote></div><br></div></div></body></html>