Korea related or in general
Frank Hoffmann

macOS Sierra & Mojave: Hanja Input Method & PPTP for VPN

Unread post by Frank Hoffmann »

This issues is fixed -- see LAST entry here. / Frank

========================================================
Here a SUMMARY about the issue regarding hanja 漢字 input under macOS "Sierra"
========================================================

My first take on this, on where to locate the problem of inputting hanja under macOS "Sierra" (10.12), as posted end of August on the KoreanStudies Internet Discussion List, was partially off. The issue is in fact not that Apple now dropped that functionality all together. Rather, the problem comes in because several major software companies have not updated their code yet -- and, as begun in the earlier El Capitan OS, Apple has now further changed major pieces of code in Sierra's 'kernel' (same applies to iOS 10) ... likely due to more code written by Swift (their programming language and tool).

The short version of the story is as above. In Apple's own software (e.g. their word processor "Pages") the input works fine, and even in some of Microsoft's 2016 Office programs, such as Excel, it works. Of course, for Koreanists what counts is MS Word and possibly Outlook, and there it does not work, had not been fixed under OS X El Capitan and has not been fixed for Sierra either. A workaround had been the open source application "Karabiner," a key remapping script, clearly the best of all such scripts for the Mac. Because of these code changes in the kernel, though, the present version of "Karabiner" is not anymore working. I will come to that below.

Is there a new workaround for MS Word?
Not really; presently -- mid-September 2016 -- there is not. ::error: IF using Sierra (which seems OTHERWISE more stable than OS X El Capitan) I can only suggest to use MS Word's SEARCH input field to generate hanja; that works in both, MS Word 2011 and 2016. I am referring to the search field on the top right of the document view, with the small magnifying glass:
1.jpg
1.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 459549 times
You'd then still have to copy/paste the characters into your document's body text.
It works in that SEARCH window because that is a pre-defined element from Apple's code library, so it gets auto-created on the fly. The document body, on the other hand, is, as we would expect, Microsoft's own outdated code, and the input function is thus not working. Maybe later...
I used "F-Script" -- more particular "F-Script Anywhere" -- to look at the code element where that happens .... F-Script is an amazingly useful script for reverse engineering. The code of partially encrypted applications like MS Word can otherwise not be checked and thus not be fixed. But with F-Script (and until recently "simbl" which is now outdated), you can do that step by step, look at the various elements and Objective-C sub-routines of the Cocoa libraries, and then do some open heart surgery there and interrupt or insert a function where needed. That's lots of fun, and it can save the day. Yet, in this case, because of the kernel code changes, it is near-to-impossible to fix the issue (because MS Word still 'thinks' it works under a different OS).
We should wait for EITHER Microsoft (and others) to update their code, OR (I am more optimistic there) for Takayama Fumihiko to update his "Karabiner" script. You can easily check this from time to time at https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/. It seems he is also working on a new version of Karabiner, called "Karabiner-Elements" (not quite sure yet how that will be different from Karabiner itself, but it does address these kernel changes): https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements

=============================================
macOS Sierra & iOS 10 disables PPTP proxy connectivity for VPN
=============================================
Since I am at it: in case you use proxy connections, e.g. to access your university library's e-resoures, or for many many other things ... be aware that macOS Sierra disables and DELETES all stored PPTP profiles during the OS upgrade. PPTP is one of several proxy protocols, and you probably do not anymore use that now if you are at a larger university or other major institution. PPTP is known to be insecure. Still, there is a whole universe of companies out there that still relies on this protocoll (it's simple to set up, that's the main reason ... and even Windows 10 still has it). I looked around, and the only application for a Mac running Sierra that allows you to still use it, with a sophisticated way around this new limitation AND being secure at the same time, is a commercial program called "Shimo" (https://www.shimovpn.com/). Works like a charm, has a very userfriendly interface, allows you to store all setup profiles, and is a wonderful tool for all sorts of connectivity tasks (offers all modern network protocolls) on the Mac.

Best,
Frank
Jimmy

Re: macOS Sierra: Hanja Input Method & PPTP for VPN

Unread post by Jimmy »

I have been using VPN Tracker for years. About a year ago they also came out with PPTP support. For anyone using PPTP VPN on a Mac, I would hands down recommend this Software. Never had any stability problems or anything, unlike other VPN clients I've used. http://www.vpntracker.com
Frank Hoffmann

Re: macOS Sierra & Mojave: Hanja Input Method & PPTP for VPN

Unread post by Frank Hoffmann »

==============================
U p d a t e - macOS Mojave (12/28/2018)
==============================

The input problem continues in the latest MS Office apps version 16.20 under macOS Mojave (10.14.x). :yawn:
But there is GOOD NEWS! I've revisited the topic and found the cause and a solution (which Apple could have easily documented two years ago but never did).

The cause of the problem is the functional difference between "Enter" and "Return," between the commands for new line and a carriage return. The keys "Enter" and "Return" do different things ... but then, for decades, and in most applications, these keys had been assigned identical functions. One of the applications were this applied is MS Word. In 2016 Microsoft quietly reversed this, reintroducing a distinction last seen in the 1980s or early 1990s. This is the cause of the problem for Mac users. ... All about "Enter" and "Return" keys, see the enlightening discussion at:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... n-vs-enter

The S o l u t i o n is simple:
On a keyboard that does have a 'keypad' (see image below), simply type the Han'gŭl syllable or word, and then hit:
⌥ Option + ENTER
(whereby the ENTER key is the one on the numeric keypad, in the lower right corner of the keyboard)
And on a keyboard without a 'keypad' -- e.g. on a MacBook or MacBook Pro, or a small external keyboard, type instead:
Fn + ⌥ Option + RETURN
(on a PC keyboard connected to a Mac: Fn + Alt + Enter)

That's about it! :thumbup:

Frank
mac-keyboard-1.jpg
mac-keyboard-1.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 453706 times
mac-keyboard-2.jpg
mac-keyboard-2.jpg (156.46 KiB) Viewed 453706 times
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

This issue has been fixed. Not really sure exactly since which version of MS Office (I am using 16.41), but you can now again enter han'gŭl within the MS Word text and produce hanja right there.

Tested on:
macOS Mojave, version 10.14.6, with MS Office 16:41
macOS Catalina, version 10.15.7, with MS Office 16:41

As a reminder:

⌥ Option + ENTER
(whereby the ENTER key is the one on the numeric keypad, in the lower right corner of the keyboard)
And on a keyboard without a 'keypad' -- e.g. on a MacBook or MacBook Pro, or a small external keyboard, type instead:
Fn + ⌥ Option + RETURN
(on a PC keyboard connected to a Mac: Fn + Alt + Enter)

Frank
rizarefaldi

Unread post by rizarefaldi »

About a year ago they also came out with PPTP support. For anyone using PPTP VPN on a Mac, I would hands down recommend this Software. Never had any stability problems or anything, unlike other VPN clients I've used.
richardsjenkins

Unread post by richardsjenkins »

In 2016 Microsoft quietly reversed this, reintroducing a distinction last seen in the 1980s or early 1990s. burbank tree removal
Nancypeter

Unread post by Nancypeter »

The cause of the problem is the functional difference between "Enter" and "Return," between the commands for new line and a carriage return. www.reikiofaustin.com/services
duffytraciezs

Unread post by duffytraciezs »

PPTP is one of several proxy protocols, and you probably do not anymore use that now if you are at a larger university or other major institution. house painting Leander
ParkerLemke

Unread post by ParkerLemke »

There are a variety of proxy protocols available, and you probably aren't using PPTP at your large university or other major institution anymore. Painting a house Leander  gartic phone
timeline

Unread post by timeline »

Thank you for your post. I have read through several similar topics! However, your article gave me a very special impression, unlike other articles. I hope you continue to have valuable articles like this or more to share with everyone! run 3
Kyle

Unread post by Kyle »

It works in that SEARCH window because that is a pre-defined element from Apple's code library, so it gets auto-created on the fly. The document body, on the other hand, is, as we would expect, Microsoft's own outdated code, and the input function is thus not working. home insulation contractors
charlene

Unread post by charlene »

Thanks for fixing the issue!

Charlene - Insulation contractor
maryko

Unread post by maryko »

This tutorial is pretty helpful for people who strive to learn the conversion of Korean into PDF.
Greetings,
MaryAustin wedding photographers
kurt

Unread post by kurt »

I badly needed this. I'm glad i found the solution to my problem.

Greetings from www.drywallabilene.com
Bella

Unread post by Bella »

I already save it on my bookmarks. Thanks!

Bella from Winston Salem
anthonyscotte23

Unread post by anthonyscotte23 »

I badly needed this. I'm glad i found the solution to my problem. appliance repair mount vernon
johnyy9

Unread post by johnyy9 »

The open source key remapping software "Karabiner," unquestionably the greatest of all such scripts for the Mac, had been used as a workaround. norman kitchen remodeling
isotactac

Unread post by isotactac »

I am really getting a charge out of examining your exquisitely formed articles about https://www.isotechsolutions.com/. Great site and an incredible subject also I truly get astonished
rickluck90

Unread post by rickluck90 »

I found the information very helpful. See commercial cleaninginfo.
caliweb

Unread post by caliweb »

Great information in this article, thanks for sharing your great insight! Seo company in Kelowna
NestorHernandez

Unread post by NestorHernandez »

I'm glad that you've managed to solve this issue, I had the same problem as you but thankfully someone from my favorite wallpaper installer phoenix was very well versed in this topic and managed to resolve it in no time at all!
asanako111

Unread post by asanako111 »

The code of partially encrypted applications like MS Word can otherwise not be checked and thus not be fixed. spray foam insulation lafayette la
loraine_0

Unread post by loraine_0 »

In 2016 Microsoft quietly reversed this, reintroducing a distinction last seen in the 1980s or early 1990s. https://www.stpaulpressurewash.com/power-washing-patio-and-pavers-in-twin-cities-mn
maryko

Unread post by maryko »

The code of partially encrypted applications like MS Word can otherwise not be checked and thus not be fixed. foundation repair contractor near me
Ignazio

Unread post by Ignazio »

There are a variety of proxy protocols available, and you probably aren't using PPTP at your large university or other major institution anymore.
liahjs

Unread post by liahjs »

That's great and useful information. Thank you very much! good luck to you!
Geometry Dash Scratch
xander96

Unread post by xander96 »

PPTP VPN is no longer supported on macOS Sierra and High Sierra and that is just fine, because there are some security issues | Lenexa Landscaping companies
jansen

Unread post by jansen »

The code of partially encrypted applications like MS Word can otherwise not be checked and thus not be fixed. auckland roof leak repair
ampva301

Unread post by ampva301 »

In the past, the open-source application "Karabiner" was a workaround for this issue, but it seems that the current version of Karabiner is no longer compatible due to kernel code changes.

Regards, El Paso Drywall Contractors