[KS] Time Line of Korean History

AWOOJAlex at aol.com AWOOJAlex at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 14:57:45 EDT 1998

Dear members:
This is Junghee Lee, Portland State University.
When introducing Korean time line to the general public in the art catalogue
and the textbook, I checked other catalogues and found the following:
Ususually the catalogues starts with the Neolithic period, Bronze Age, Iron
Age.
The Metropolitan Museum's recent catalogue provided from Korea indicate the
Neolithic period  to 7,000 B.C.E., 2,000 years earlier than previous
catalogues.
And I also noticed Kochoson is missing in most catalogues maybe because it is
not a historical kingdom.  I can understand that one.
I also noticed that Wiman Choson (194-108 B.C.E.) is missing.
I also noticed that Nangnang (Lelang) is missing.
If we were not including Nangnang, do we put Tribal States period (108-57
B.C.E.)?
Can Nangnang be a period in Korean History as Sherman Lee puts it?
Or do we put Nangnang and tribal states period (108 B.C.E.-313 C.E. or 108
B.C.E.-57 B.C.E.) in or
do we just jump into the Three Kingdoms period from the Iron Age (300 B.C.E.)
without Wiman Choson, Nangnang or Tribal States period as the Korean
catalogues are?
What would be the best and truthful way?
Sincerely,

Junghee Lee
Department of Art
Portland State University