[KS] Re: Korean enrollments

Ross King jrpking at unixg.ubc.ca
Fri Aug 28 18:28:22 EDT 1998

For those of you on the list who are engaged in Korean language teaching,
what are your Korean enrollments like for the coming fall? Same as last
year? Higher? Lower?

At UBC, our Korean language enrollments appear to have dropped noticeably.
Last week we held our placement interviews for all our Korean courses:

Korean 102: Beginning Korean
Korean 104: Beginning Korean for Heritage Learners
Korean 200: Second-year Korean
Korean 300: Intermediate Korean, with introduction to Mixed Script
Korean 410: Modern Korean Short Fiction
Korean 582: History and Structure of the Korean Language

Whereas last year at this time we had over a 100 registrations and
interviewed close to 70 people on these two days, this time we saw a grand
total of 23 students, and initial registrations are barely 80 (and
falling).

Korean 104 and 300 will not make the Dean's newly legislated minimum
enrollment of 15 per class.

A reflection of the "Asian crisis"? Any similar experiences out there to report?

Ross King
Associate Professor of Korean
University of British Columbia