[KS] RE: undergrad programs - Korean language

Clark, Donald dclark at trinity.edu
Thu Aug 20 17:23:15 EDT 1998

Are we talking about undergraduate institutions that have no graduate
programs of any kind or only an idiosyncratic one or two, or
institutions that have no graduate program in Korean Studies.  Trinity,
my institution, would be one of the former (with no Korean language
program) and the University of Texas at Austin would be one of the
latter.
The list that Frank steered us to was interesting.  Claremont McKenna
would be part of a consortium and shouldn't count.  That left Skidmore.
Maybe one other.  Noplace like Wittenberg or Carleton.  I think it's
really tough for small institutions to run good language programs with
tenure-track staff.  The competing demands in language instruction are
just to compelling.   We have a good Chinese and a little Japanese but
we'd have Arabic and Hebrew before our modern languages department would
consider tenure tracks in Korean.  We refuse to use part time staff and
nobody in our neighborhood is interested in a consortiuim for Korean.
Administrative realities, even in a well-endowed school.
DNC