[KS] Religious Intolerance

Frank Tedesco tedesco at uriel.net
Tue Aug 4 20:54:25 EDT 1998

K-S Listers:

It seems that my postings have upset some folks. I guess you can't satisfy
everyone all the time. Those among who appreciate my daily scanning for
interesting & diverse articles from sundry Korea-oriented newspapers
related to Korean culture can contact me and I will include you on a select
list to receive articles. I am interested in a wide variety of things
Korean, from different perspectives and disciplines. I like the "softer
side" of Korea which does not get much press in the West. My years at the
Korean National Commission for Unesco exposed me to things "forced" me to
experience aspects of Korea I probably would not have stumbled across
otherwise.

As for religious intolerance, I am concerned about justice. It is clearly
unjust for religious fanatics to physically attack Buddhist monuments and
houses of worship with impunity as they have been doing over too many years
now. You may read my article in the Journal of Buddhist -Christian Studies,
v.17 if you wish background and documentation. It is available on the web
also at Http://www.chez.com/sarana/grez/CKorea.htm

I have recently been invited to join a group of psychiatrists in Korea who
are convening an inter-faith symposium the end of September to address the
resolution of religious conflict (and possible war) which is brewing now.
The problem can not be denied any longer; the roots of the troubles will be
examined.

As for Pankaj Mohan's long letter, I am reminded of an eerie tale of the
Brahman Kritaakrita translated from the Sanskrit entitled "Underdone,
overdone, undone!" (F.W. Bain, 1901). "What has been done is too little,
too much, and not done at all."

Fraom sweltering Seoul,

Frank Tedesco
"People who usually bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the
boot that kicks them."
--Eric Hoffer