[KS] Re: undergrad programs - Korean language

Editorial Staff kahs at arkay-intl.com
Thu Aug 20 12:14:02 EDT 1998

The University of Washington offers 19 courses (see below).
http://www.washington.edu/students/crscat/korean.html

KOREAN 301  Introduction to Korean (5)
Fundamentals of the Korean language. Emphasis on Korean alphabet and
spelling, pronunciation, and basic grammar. Offered: `A.

KOREAN 302  Introduction to Korean (5)
Fundamentals of the Korean language. Emphasis on Korean alphabet and
spelling, pronunciation, and basic grammar. Prerequisite: KOREAN 301.
Offered: `W.

KOREAN 303  Introduction to Korean (5)
Fundamentals of the Korean language. Emphasis on Korean alphabet and
spelling, pronunciation, and basic grammar. Prerequisite: KOREAN 302.
Offered: `Sp.

KOREAN 304  Spoken Korean (10) VLPA
The Korean language as spoken in ordinary conversational situations.
Phonetic accuracy and appropriateness of idiom. May be taken any summer
after completion of first-year Korean. Prerequisite: KOREAN 303. Offered:
irregularly.

KOREAN 311  Introduction to Korean Writing in Mixed Script (5) VLPA
Chinese characters as used in Korean mixed script. Systematic expansion of
vocabulary and grammatical forms of standard Korean. Prerequisite: KOREAN
303. Offered: `A.

KOREAN 312  Introduction to Korean Writing in Mixed Script (5) VLPA
Chinese characters as used in Korean mixed script. Systematic expansion of
vocabulary and grammatical forms of standard Korean. Prerequisite: KOREAN
311. Offered: `W.

KOREAN 313  Introduction to Korean Writing in Mixed Script (5) VLPA
Chinese characters as used in Korean mixed script. Systematic expansion of
vocabulary and grammatical forms of standard Korean. Prerequisite: KOREAN
312. Offered: `Sp.

KOREAN 411  Readings in Contemporary Korean (5) VLPA
Completes the introduction to Korean writing in mixed script of 311, 312,
313. Prerequisite: KOREAN 313. Offered: `A.

KOREAN 412  Readings in Contemporary Korean (5) VLPA
Provide experience in reading a variety of contemporary styles. Materials
from published works include informal essays, short stories, one-act plays,
academic essays, and newspaper editorials. Offered: `W.

KOREAN 413  Readings in Contemporary Korean (5) VLPA
Provide experience in reading a variety of contemporary styles. Materials
from published works include informal essays, short stories, one-act plays,
academic essays, and newspaper editorials. Offered: `Sp.

KOREAN 415  Social Science Literature in Korean (3) VLPA
Readings in selections from contemporary Korean publications in social
science topics. Prerequisite: KOREAN 413. Offered: `A.

KOREAN 416  Readings in Korean Literature (3) VLPA
Reading of various literature texts which may include pre-modern Korean
narrative and poetry as well as modern literature and drama. Prerequisite:
KOREAN 413. Offered: `W.

KOREAN 417  Readings in Korean Journals (3) VLPA
Selections from Korean newspapers, news magazines, and other journals.
Topics from international and domestic affairs, including politics,
business, and problems of everyday life. Prerequisite: KOREAN 413. Offered:
`Sp.

KOREAN 499  Undergraduate Independent Study (3-5, max. 15)
For students who have completed 417 or equivalent. Offered: `AWSpS.

KOREAN 501  Seminar in Korean Linguistics (3-5)
Topics in Korean linguistics. Prerequisite: background in linguistics and
permission of instructor.

KOREAN 502  Seminar in Korean Linguistics (3-5)
Topics in Korean linguistics. Prerequisite: background in linguistics and
permission of instructor.

KOREAN 503  Seminar in Korean Linguistics (3-5)
Topics in Korean linguistics. Prerequisite: background in linguistics and
permission of instructor.

KOREAN 531  Advanced Readings in Modern Korean Literature (5)  Lee
Literature and literary criticism in Korean. Prerequisite: fourth-year
Korean or equivalent. Offered: alternate years.

KOREAN 532  Advanced Readings in Traditional Vernacular Korean Literature
(5)  Lee
Readings in traditional Korean vernacular literature, including poetry, sung
narrative, and fiction. Prerequisite: fourth-year Korean or equivalent.
Offered: alternate years.