[KS] New Dictionary

anthony at ccs.sogang.ac.kr anthony at ccs.sogang.ac.kr
Tue Oct 27 18:52:52 EST 1998

I believe that no one has yet mentioned the appearance of the new Korean
Dictionary that has been brewing at Yonsei University for the last 10-12
years? It looks very fine (but I am no linguist or lexicographer). The
name transcribed (more or less) is YOnsei HangukO SajOn, the ISBN is
89-00-07625-6 11710, it is published by Dusan who claim to have a site
at http://www.dong-a.com and the commercial price is Won 50,000 (but I
got mine with a hefty discount!). The main characteristic (I believe) is
that it is based on contemporary usage and offers a specimen quotation
to illustrate usage after each short definition. Grammatical aspects and
close cognates are listed in the margins and the printing is excellently
crisp on very good paper. 2144 pages in a single volume, considerably
more compact than previous Korean dictionaries.
Brother Anthony (An Sonjae)
Sogang University, Seoul
http://www.sogang.ac.kr/~anthony