[KS] re: Tsushima/Taema-do

Kenneth R. Robinson robinson at icu.ac.jp
Sun Oct 4 02:26:46 EDT 1998

        Thanks to Professor Lewis and Professor Ledyard for their detailed
and informative comments about Tsushima.  If I may add a footnote, the
ChosOn government treated the island as Korean territory, at least during
the first 200 years.  On several occasions Korean kings assigned a domestic
post to officials being sent to the island.  The first instance occurred
before the retired king T'aejong made his comments in 1419.  Korean elites
often repeated this Korean history of the island.  Multiple discourses on
Taema-do/Tsushima were current in ChosOn, and a Japanese history of
Tsushima was but one history of the island.

        On a different note, several months ago someone asked for
information about a CD-ROM version of the KoryO sa.  I don't recall seeing
a reply, but I may have overlooked it.  Is there any information available?

Ken Robinson