[KS] Yi Ki-yong

Chungmoo Choi cchoi at benfranklin.hnet.uci.edu
Fri Oct 2 12:04:49 EDT 1998

Perhaps the best source for North Korean literature is Professor Kim
Chae-yong at Wongwang Univ. in SK.  He has published a wide range of books
on North Korean literature that goes back to its root, KAPF of which
Minch'on Yi Ki-yong was a member.  He edited the series of Hyondae munhak
pip'yong charyojip 8 vols. (Seoul: Taehaksa, 1994) and An Ham-gwang 5
vols. (Seoul: Pakijong, 1998).  Both are perhaps most comprehensive
collection of critical essays written by North Korean critics.  An
Ham-gwang, NK's foremost literary critic, of course, had written since the
KAPF years and continued to enjoy his reputation until he was outsted in
1967.  These series contain several essays on Yi Ki-yong.

Also if you can get a hold of the North Korean video series "Kapu
chakkadul" (part of Minjokkwa Unmyong series), you will get a glimpse of
Yi Ki-yong's life.  The series focuses on the life of Ri Ch'an who wrote
the famous "Song of the General."

>From my experiences of meeting with North Korean writers and critics, I
find it very difficult to contact them individually without the mediation
of the DPRK authorities.

If you want to contact Professor Kim Chae-yong, please let me know for
his e-mail address or phone numbers.

Good luck with your research.

Chungmoo Choi