[KS] Re: Tsushima/Taema-do

sungjong.paik at uni-tuebingen.de sungjong.paik at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Oct 9 22:09:20 EDT 1998

Dear Professor Ledyard,

After reading of about 650 documents about Tsushima in "Sillok", from
1392 to 1494, I recently got some ideas on the relationship between
ChosOn and Tsushima. Topics in which you are also interested are
scketched ed as follow:

A. on the question of Tsushima Island and national territoriality

1. It was King T'aejong who mentioned that Tsushima once belonged to
Korea during an expedition to the island, but without any convincing
historical document. (1419 Sejong 1(year)/6(month)/9(day) Imo: Sillok,
2:321)
2. King T'aejong insisted again that the island was a part of Silla's
teritory. But he failed to cite any historical record. (1419 Sejong
1/7/17 KyOngsin: Sillok, 2:326)
3. The envoy and the ruler of Tsushima rejected the T'aejong's opinion.
(1421 Sejong 3/4/6 Musul and 7 Kihae: Sillok, 2:428)
4. Korean authority  including King Sejong mentioned without concrete
evidence that the island was pastureground of horses. (1421 Sejong 3/4/7
Kihae: sillok, 2:428; 1447 Sejong 29/5/26 PyOngjin: Sillok, 5:24)
5. Korean high ranking officials such as Yu Uison accepted that the
island was Japanese territory. The island was additionally marked in the
Japanese map. (1438 Sejong 20/2/19 Kyeyu: Sillok, 4:131)
6. King Sejong guessed that Tsushima was the same as Tuji Island where a
certain Kim Chunggon [KoryO Dynasty] owned slaves. (1441 Sejong 23/11/21
Kabin: Sillok, 4:370)
7. Some Korean officials influenced by the King's opinion said that the
island turned into the Japanes hands during the late KoryO Dynasty. They
could not, however, prove their theory based on historical
documents.(1441 Sejong 23/11/22 Ulmyo: Sillok, 4:370)
8. Several rulers of Japanese islands, rivals of Tsushima's ruler,
mentioned that Tsushima was originally Korean territory. But this cannot
be proved, because of lack of historical document. (1444 Sejong 26/4/30:
Sillok, 4:552)

Based on these facts, I am in the opinion that the theories of Korean
authority from 15th century are not convincing. Additionally, I will
note that no single sentence which help us in the territorial question
of Tsushima was found by me in Samguk Sagi and Samguk yusa. Because
KoryOsa was compiled in the very 15th century, I do not want to examine
it for this purpose.

B. on the Tsushima's political position

1. Korean Kings including both of above mentioned King T'aejong and
Sejong treated the rulers of Tsushima not as Korean official but as
Chief of a Japanese island. Japanese sovereignty of the island was never
questioned by Korean authority. According to Sillok, the envoy of
Tsushima was "Envoy from Tsushima Island of Japan". (for instance, 1397
T'aejo 6/5/6 ChOngsa: Sillok, 1:106; 1474 SOngjong 5/10/6 Muja: Sillok,
9:151)
2. None of Korean officials was sent to the island to administrate the
inhavitants of the island, even after a couple of successful expeditions
to the island. There was no single Japanese ruler or t'aesu of the
island was appointed as Korean Govonor of the island. In addition, the
Japanese ruler of the island did not collect any kind of tax for Korean
government. What the rulers gave to the Korean kings were merely
tribute.
3. After getting of tribute from Tsushima, the korean kings gave gifts
to the Japanese island. The value of the gifts exceeded the tribute.
Hence, there were even unauthorized Japanese envoys or merchants from
the island. (1439 Sejong 21/4/18 Ulmi: Sillok, 4:204)

These historical facts make clear, in my view, that Tsushima was only a
Korean tributary during the early ChosOn period, together with Jurchen
tribes and Japanese rulers of other small islands.

C. On assignment of Korean post to the persons from/of Tsushima

1. Envoys from Tsushima got often Korean ranks and posts, such as Manho
(Military officer) and Hogun (a kind of general). It dose not mean that
such Japanese became Korean officials, in the narrow sense, because they
did not have concrete tasks. The titles had only a simbolic meaning.
(1397 T'aejo 6/5/6 ChOngsa: Sillok, 1:106)
2. Military posts were also given to relatives of the Tsushima's ruler
and members of powerful family on the island. In this case, the posts
were honorable ones, too. Among these Japanese elite, there were lots of
people who had never met the Korean King and recieved their salary.
(1494 SOngjong 25/9/18 Kymyo: Sillok, 12:585; 1479 SOngjong 19/8/21:
Sillok, 10:46)
3. There were, however, some Japanese who gained Korean nationality and
served as military officers in the Korean government. Many of them
returned to their home after retirement.

Regarding these facts, we can conclude that the assignment of Korean
post has nothing to do with direct governing of island by Korean
authority. It was, as we already know from other Chinese historical
records, old custom in the tributary system in East asia.

Sincerely,

Paik Sungjong
Dr sungjong Paik
Seminar fuer Sinologie und Koreanistik