[KS] Re: Korean History time line

¹Ú³ëÀÚ viad at nms.kyunghee.ac.kr
Wed Sep 30 00:01:27 EDT 1998

Dear Don,
I used to do some research on Kaya problem (my PhD opus on Kaya will come out of the print in Moscow this year), and my feeling about the question of Kaya statehood was that, at least, three of Kaya states - Taegaya, Ara-Kaya, and Pon'gaya -  were indeed small kingdoms, with fledging state apparatus and quite strong authority of the monarch. Certainly, "Karak-kuk-ki" chapter in "Samguk yusa" is a Koryo-time compilation of earlier legends and, by and large, can not be used as historical source at all. But we have, first, extensive mentions of Kaya in "Kimmei-gi" of "Nihon sheki" (based on authentic Paekche documents), and second, eigraphical monuments of 6 C. Silla, were the descendants of Taegaya and Pongaya kings are mentioned. It is evident from those sources  that at least Targaya and Pon'gaya  (which played extremely important role in peninsular politics in 532-562) and Ara-Kaya (where Japanese representatives to all Kaya states had their headquarters) were acknowledged !
 as "real" states by their neighbours - the political play between them, Paekche, Silla, and the "wajin" was that of equals. You may refer to Kim T'aesik's insightful monograph ("Kaya yonmaeng-sa", Ilchogak, 1994) on this subject.
With regards,
Vladimir Tikhonov,
KyungHee University, South Korea.
e-mail: viad at nms.kyunghee.ac.kr