[KS] Japanese Period Korean/Okinawan laborers in Micronesia

Gary Heathcote zinjman at uog9.uog.edu
Tue Sep 29 07:23:08 EDT 1998

Hafa Ada'i from Guam,

I am interested in corresponding with researchers who are familiar with
the experiences of Korean and Okinanwan laborers in Western Micronesia
(especially the Mariana Islands),
during the Japanese Period/WWII.   There appears to be very little
English-language literature on this subject.  I am wondering if there are
current research projects underway or recent studies just published?
Further, is anyone familiar with the Japanese and Korean literature  on
this.   Any leads/suggestions will be welcomed!

Thank you,

Gary Heathcote
Assoc. Prof. - Anthropology

   | Dr. Gary Heathcote         | Email  : zinjman at uog9.uog.edu           |
   | Anthropology Resource and  | Voice  : (671) 735-2817                 |
   |  Research Center*          | FAX    : (671) 734-7930                 |
   | University of Guam         | Coordinates  :  13.5N, 144.7E           |
   | House 32, Dean's Circle    | GMT +10, EST +15                        |
   | UOG Station, Mangilao      | "Gloom we have always with us, a rank   |
   | Guam 96923       U.S.A.    |  and sturdy weed, but joy requires      |
   |                            |  tending."                              |
   |                            |                - Barbara Holland        |
   |                            |                  ENDANGERED PLEASURES   |
   *  Information on ARRC resources, recent reports and publications, and
      full text of selected reports, are available at the following URL:
                     gopher://uog2.uog.edu/11/anthro