[KS] New Literary Novel of Korea

Mia Yun miayun at pipeline.com
Sun Sep 27 22:32:33 EDT 1998

Dear List,

I am happy to announce the publication of  my novel, House of the Winds:

HOUSE OF THE WINDS

by Mia Yun

Publication date: October 1, 1998

ISBN 1-56656-305-4

Hardback $22.95 (in Canada, $32.95)

Interlink Books, Interlink Publishing Group

Contact: Moira Megragee at 413-582-7054

HOUSE OF THE WINDS is set in the 60s and 70s of Korea and tells the story of a family and especially its women whose lives are deeply affected by the tumultuous Korean history: mainly the 36-year Japanese rule and the Korean War.

The novel will be featured nationwide during November in the Original Voices Program at Borders Books & Music and I will be a guest of Liane Hansen on National Public Radio's Weekend Edition Sunday.  I will also be reading and signing at five locations (listed below) in October and November and I hope some of you could make it to the readings if you're nearby.

Advance Praise and Reviews for HOUSE OF THE WINDS:

"Warm and vivid... Eloquently written in language that is both metaphorical and poetic." -LIBRARY JOURNAL

"This is a novel full of beautiful and vivid description..." -BOOKLIST

"Mia Yun's imagination flowers into startlingly fresh imagery.  Her sentences are pure, simple, exquisitely shaded.." -Cynthia Ozick

"Intertwining memory, myth, dream and imagination, the young narrator captures a world in which the old and the new, the innocent and the cunning, the East and the West, all clash and embrace" -Rebecca Stowe

"Through the haunting and evocative prose of Mia Yun's fine novel we see, feel and know a Korea which until now, despite our participation in its modern day civil war, has yet remained hidden from us.  She beautifully melds Korea's enduring strength, achievements, and above all, its tragic past within an almost contemporary setting. She is especially concerned that in the telling of her country's history, an all important group has been left out.  She writes:  ‘Korea seemed... a bloodied Eden full of the voiceless souls of women...'  Mia Yun's is one Korean woman who will be heard." -Barney Rosset

Readings & Signings:

           OCTOBER 1, 1998 at 7:00 p.m.

           Booklink Booksellers

           Thorns Marketplace