[KS] FWD: Request to Circulate, East Asian Study Guide Author Needed

kimrenau kimrenau at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Fri Sep 11 14:59:01 EDT 1998

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------

Request to distribute announcement

East Asian Literature Study Guide Author Needed

We're looking for a scholar of East Asian Literature to write a study
guide (The Harp of Burma_ - Michio Takeyama and _Unfilled Graves_ - Ah
Cheng) for our statewide Reading Series Discussion Program.

Would it be possible to circulate this request throughout your
department? We have provided a full announcement below that includes
requirements for the project and provides the url for the electronic
application form.

					Announcement

Greetings to  those interested in East Asian literature,

We’re looking for a scholar of East Asian literature to write a brief
(10-12 page) study guide for participants in a statewide Reading Series.
Discussions will be held on the books _(The Harp of Burma_ - Michio
Takeyama and _Unfilled Graves_ - Ah Cheng).  The guide should speak to a
general audience & provide cultural context for the books.

It should touch upon such issues as:
What area predominant cultures have that U.S. society does not
Relations with indigenous peoples & present day majority cultures
Historical dimensions which would help illumine the book for US readers
Questions for reflection
Bibliography of works by and about the authors

Sample guides are available from the Council offices.

The scholar who writes the study guide will receive 350 U.S. dollars for
services rendered.

To apply electronically, please use the url below.  Otherwise,  send a
private e-mail listing your qualifications and a short statement telling
us why you are interested in writing such a study guide  A page or less
will be fine.  Be certain to include any other address which might be
different from your current address and include your e-mail address, fax
and telephone numbers.  The guide needs to be written and received by us
on computer disk by Monday, November 30, 1998

Please forward this message to any other scholars you feel could assist
in completing this project.

Application deadline is 10/15/98.

Send the e-mail to:
Jeanne Jones Manzer