[KS] Re: Dharani Sutra

Junghee Lee junghee at nh1.nh.pdx.edu
Mon Dec 6 21:33:46 EST 1999

Dear Professor Pratt:

It is fascinating that there are panel on the characters.
I want to know more detail about this.
The name of the sutra in Sokkat'ap is supposedly
Wuguo jinguang datuoluonijing,
Vimalasuddhaprabhasa-mahadharani or Sutra on
the Great Magic Formula of the Stinless, Pure light translated by
Mituosan (Taisho 1024),
Taisho, vol. 19, 717c-721b.
See Chewon Kim and Lena Lee, Arts of Korea, p. 76.
Lena Kim refers in footnote 165m, Yi Hong-jik, "Kyongju Sokkat'ap
palgyon ui Muhujonggwang Tae-Taranikyong," Paeksan hakbo, vol. 4,
1968, Seoul, pp. 167-98.
To see the characters of the printed dharani, see The National Museum
of Korea, "Pulsari changom," 34-35.
The mention of the sutra in Japan, see De Visser, Ancient Buddhism in
Japan, 2 vols. (Leidan: E. J. Brill, 1935).
I also mentioned this recently in my article,
"A Dated Avatamsaka-sutra Scroll and the Korean Origin of the
Vairocana Buddha Image in the Wisdom-fist Mudra,"
Oriental Art, vol. 45, no. 2 (1999), p. 21-22, footnote
48-49.
There is an inscription of this sutra in a pedestal for an image
dated 766.  You can check the Chinese characters of that too.
That is discussed  my footnoe, 47, Kwak Sunghun, "Silla chungdae
malgi chungang kwijok turui pulsa hwaltong", Yi Kibaek sonsaeng
kohuikinyom Hanguksahak nonch'ong (Seoul: Ilchogak, 1994) v2 vols,
1:367.

But if there are controversy, I would like to know more about it.
Please let me know if you hear more.

Sincerly,

Junghee Lee
Department of Art