[KS] Re: north korea/polish documentary

Changzoo Song changzoos at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:25:53 EST 1999

I remember the film titled something like "Defilada" (in Polish) which means
"Parade" or "March." The documentary film was about 50 mintues long and
showed variuos parade scenes and some monuments. The parades included one of
the anniversary of the Commuinist Party while the monuments included Kim Il
Sung's native home and the Juche Tower. The film was taken in many places
including Pyongyang, Mt. Kumgang and a small city in Hamgyong-do. One
interesting scene in the film, I remember, was how North Korean people
looked very tired and leathargic when they were rehearsing a welcoming
parade for a foreign delegation arriving at a local airport. They would sit
or lie down on the ground while the parade leader tried to persuade them to
continue the exercise. However, at the news of their arrival, they would all
stand up at once and fervently welcome the delegation. I don't recall if the
film showed any specific scenes of North Korean people's daily life. The
film was dubbed in English, but the narrator would pronounce "Kim Jong Il"
as "Kim Yong Il," because of the different prounciation of "J" in European
languages. I will find the whereabouts of the film soon when I visit Poland.

Changzoo Song
CEP Visiting Lecturer
Faculty of Social Sciences
Riga Stradina University