[KS] Re: Seeking info on Hubert Vos

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Sat Dec 4 17:19:03 EST 1999

Dear Christine.

Searching the Web, I found a website and wrote an email to the web owner.
Her is his response:

To: adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Subject: Re: Hubert Vos

I am one of the leading authorities on the artist and have done extensive
research.  The portrait of "Min Sang Ho" (now Korean museum) came from my
collection, as well as many other works.  I will be updating my web-site
with some more specific information, but if you have questions I would be
happy to assist.  Warm regards, Shelly Geringer.

>From: Henny Savenije <adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl>
>To: geringerart at hotmail.com
>Subject: Hubert Vos
>Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 21:14:27 +0900
>
>Could you please direct me to a reference where I can read more about the
>following painter?:
>VOS, Josephus Hubertus (Hubert Vos) (Dutch, 1855-1935). Painted in Hawaii,
>     Indonesia, Korea, China, Hong Kong, as well as American Indian subjects.
>
>Thanks in advance:

It's not much, but I am just as curious as you are and I will continue to
follow up.

At 05:32 PM 12/4/99 , you wrote:

>Dear List Members:
>
>I am looking for biographical information on the Dutch/American painter
>Hubert Vos (Hubertus Josephus Vos, 1855-1935), perhaps best known for his
>portrait of the late Qing empress dowager Cixi which hangs in the
>Harvard-Yenching Library, and a portrait of Kojong (1898) on display at
>Tôksugung.  Vos also served as a fine arts commissioner for the
>Netherlands at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, but present-day
>galleries carrying his work tend to label him a "19th-20th century
>American painter."  Judging from internet gallery sites, he appears to
>have had an active career in Southeast Asia as well!  Who is this
>man?  Any suggestions on where to look for a comprehensive bio,
>autobiography/ reminiscence, or contemporary observers would be much
>appreciated.
>

>Christine Kim
>Ph.D. Candidate, HEAL
>Harvard

Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)