[KS] Re: Query: Vietnam and Japanese Collaborators

goodwin goodwin at nas.net
Tue Feb 2 18:29:25 EST 1999

Like David McCann, I too was wondering what Ms. Pak meant by, "intuitive
understanding", but I chose instead to address other issues about her response
to my query (se my posting "Response to Jacqueline Pak"). I'm keen on hearing
whether "intuitive understanding" is, in fact, just a buzz phrase for the sorts
of things Professor McCann mentioned.

Perhaps it is this "intuitive understanding" which Ms. Pak speaks of  --as
opposed to the possible yet wholly undefined notion I attempted to graciously
put forward (i.e., that some hitherto unheard of social or structural forces
were in play in Korea circa 1895-1910)-- that explains how "collaboration" (if
it did in fact occur) can become, in Ms.Pak's words, "victimization Koreans
suffered in various guises."  In which case, what is this so-called, "intuitive
understanding"?

Cheers,

Mike Goodwin
goodwin at nas.net