[KS] Re: Collaboration

carl saxer carl.saxer at st-antonys.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Feb 5 15:37:57 EST 1999

Dear list

I have with interest followed the discussion on
collaboration in Korea. I agree that it often is difficult
to get beyond the myths, for there are  many of them, one
of them is story about the Danish King, Christian, he did
continue his regular horse ride through Copenhagen, but he
never wore  the Jewish Star. It is a myth, a nice one, but
still a myth.

The Korean experience is also filled with myths, and maybe
the issue is still too emotional for any detachment to be
demanded of Korean scholars. A problem is then that a large
majority of Korean Studies scholars are ethnic Koreans, so
I can not really see who else should/can  examine the
collaboration issue. Maybe we simply have to wait until the
period has become a bit more distant.

Carl Saxer
carl saxer
carl.saxer at sant.ox.ac.uk