[KS] Thanks

Pete Morriss pete.morriss at nuigalway.ie
Tue Feb 9 14:25:56 EST 1999

Dear Jim,
        Your message to the Korean List on Collaboration (which I enjoyed,
incidentally) reminds me that I have been meaning for ages to write to you
to thank you for dropping me the publication details of your bibliography
on Korea (last April!).  I took your advice and ordered it for the library;
it duly arrived, and I read it and found it most useful indeed.  I was
(genuinely) most impressed by the amount of work that must have gone into
it, and the sagacity (and wit) of the summaries.  I even found myself
reading through it for fun - like a normal book, but not what one normally
does with a bibliographical listing (I would have thought).  I have, as a
result, ordered many books for our library; these have now arrived (in the
main) and the course has started and seems to be going satisfactorily.  At
least one of my main worries - that there would not be enough suitable
sources for the studetns to read - has been more than eliminated.
        Incidentally, whilst I am singing your praises (which I normally
have a standard British aversion to doing), there was a copy in the library
anyway of your and Susan's book (though I'd be intrigued to know who
ordered it).  I've put that on the reading list and the students seem to
find it more helpful than the other alternatives I've listed - at least at
getting them started.  (My main other course texts are Cumings' recent one
[which I like]; Macdonald's [which I personally find rather boring] and the
history by Carter Eckert at al [which is really too detailed for my
purposes] - I think Cumings and you are far more readable, and much better
at giving a feel for the place, rather than just a mass of facts.)
        Anyway, many thanks again for your kind thought - and for your
efforts in compiling the work in the first place.
                All the best,
                                Pete