[KS] Re: How to Write Korean Names in English?

Sung-jin Yang sungjin98 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 03:53:19 EST 1999

Dear List Members,

I got several replies, which I deeply appreciate. But some of them were
about the writing system at large, leaving what I suggested initially
untouched.

The central question is how to standardize, if possible, the confusing
positions of family and first name for Asian names including Korean.

If I say, I'm Yang Sung-jin, some westerners call me Mr. Sung-jin, which
is embarrassing.

If I say my name is Sung Jin Yang, some, presuming that Asians put their
family name first, so call me Mr. Sung, which is awkward.

And in case I put my name as Sungjin Yang as if it looks like a western
one, some confused westerners will call me Mr. Sungjin, which is
hopeless.

Confusion is costly and time-consuming. (Br. Anthony's experience is a
case in point)

On the other hand, the Chinese seem to stick to Yang Sung Jin or Yang
Sungjin variation. And Taiwan seems in favor for Yang Sung-jin. (hypen
is also a significant issue when it comes to the digitalization)

The bigger question is, even if a couple of scholars and governments in
Asia agree to the standardized form, most western newspapers and media
will go their own way, calling whatever names they want (largely because
it's so helplessly confusing)

Sincerely,

Yang Sung-jin

(Yang is my family name, Sung-jin is my first name, there's no middle
name)