[KS] RE: English translations of Korean literature

kimrenau kimrenau at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Fri Jan 15 22:13:12 EST 1999

Hi Martin,

How have you been?  It is good to see your name and to know where you are.

I have been working on an anthology of my mother's (Hahn Moo-Sook) short
stories in English translation.  Because some of the translators sent their
works to me a long time ago, and others are taking much more time than they
said they would, I have decided to submit what I have already edited to
journals, etc., to publish them as individual pieces.  The PEN journal wanted
one, and I sent four or five stories to them some time ago, and told them to
choose one or more from them for their journal.  I think their next issue
might carry one, although I do not know which one they decided to run first.

Many of my mother's short and medium-length stories are assigned to
translators, but some stories are not.  I have been so busy that I have
stopped thinking about it for a while.  More important perhaps, I thought I
would pay my initial attention to the first volume for which I have more than
enough, if all the assigned works come in.  However, Your email sort of makes
me think about it again.  I realize that I better assign what is left to
people in order to give them enough time to do their work.  I am wondering
whether in fact you might be interested in doing one of her stories.  Most of
the translators are my personal friends who may or may not have known my
mother but there are also those who simply wanted to do one, because they like
her works.  If you do not want to do it for any reason, I will of course
understand.  If you are interested, as I hope you would be, then I will send a
list from which you could choose, along with the original stories in Korean.

By the way, we are planning to offer Korean Literature in Translation (2
semesters-one traditional and one modern) courses at GW possibly from Fall
1999.  I am wondering if you would mind sharing your syllabus.  I would be
most appreciative of your collegial help.

I will list my addresses and phone numbers below.  Could you give me yours?
Thanks.

Cordially,

Young-Key Kim-Renaud
Professor of Korean Language and Culture and International Affairs
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
The George Washington University
801 22nd Street, N.W. (Rome 467)
Washington, DC 20052

Tel: (O) 202-994-7107; (H) 703-527-0115
Fax: (O) 202-994-1512; (H) 703-527-2520
Email kimrenau at gwu.edu

===== Original Message From Martin Holman korean-studies at mailbase.ac.uk =====
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN"
HTML
HEAD

META content=text/html;charset=ks_c_5601-1987 http-equiv=Content-TypeTITLERe:
How to Write Korean Names in English?/TITLE!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD
W3 HTML//EN"
STYLE type=text/css!--
 --/STYLE

META content='"MSHTML 4.72.2106.6"' name=GENERATOR
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face="Times New Roman"FONT size=3This term I am happy to be
teaching a modern Korean literature course again (after several years without
the opportunity). While I am pleased to see more Korean literature coming out
in
English translation, I am also disappointed--as I am sure some others are--to
have some books turn up out of print/out of stock that I had hoped to use.
Now I am in the process of adding a few more readings for my course and wonder
if there is a pool of unpublished translations out there that one might
tap./FONT/FONTFONT size=3FONT face="Times New Roman"I am thinking of
translators who have no real publication plans for their  pieces who might
be interested in "putting their translations to work" in the
classroom. One of the topics of the course is the act of translation itself,
so
unpublished (perhaps even not yet perfectly polished pieces) would also be
useful. I would be interested in finding some more good modern short stories
supplement the reading list for my course./FONT/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT size=3FONT face="Times New Roman"/FONT/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face="Times New Roman"Please let if you anyone has
anything.BR***********************BRJ. Martin HolmanBRInternational
Comparative Studies ProgramBRHuron CollegeBRUniversity of Western
OntarioBRLondon, Ontario N6G 1H3 CANADABRTel. (519) 438-7224  ext.
333   Fax: (519) 438-3938BRe-mail: A
href="mailto:mholman at julian.uwo.ca"mholman at julian.uwo.ca/A/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face="Times New Roman"/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face="Times New Roman"Japanese Studies at Huron College, UWO
BRA
href="http://instruct.uwo.ca/japanese/ics-hc/"http://instruct.uwo.ca/japanese/
ics-hc//A/FONT/DIV
DIV /DIV/BODY/HTML