[KS] New European Journal

Kuen-Hee Han hanshill at mail.shinbiro.com
Tue Jun 8 09:35:01 EDT 1999

Dear Korean-Studies list -

The following message has just arrived, and I forward it for your
information.  Please do not write me to ask about it, as I know nothing
more than what is in the message itself; address your questions to one
of the email addresses contained in the announcement.

Discussions about the wisdom, or otherwise, of founding new journals in
East Asian studies in general or Korean Studies in particular, would of
course be appropriate for the whole list.

Rob Provine
r.c.provine at durham.ac.uk

Dear Sir,

This is to announce the launching of the European Journal of East Asian
Studies. We would like to seek your support for circulating the
announcement and call for paper below as widely as possible among your
members.

Sincerely

Christian Henriot
christian.henriot at ish-lyon.cnrs.fr

****************
European Journal of East Asian Studies

ANNOUNCEMENT
&
CALL FOR PAPERS

A group of European scholars are launching a new academic journal in the
field of East Asian studies. The journal is based at the Institut d'Asie
Orientale, in Lyon, but it enjoys the support of nine other European
research institutions. It will be published and distributed by Brill
(Academic Publishers). The following text provides a summary of the
goals of the journal.
Europe is home to a very large community of scholars working on East
Asia whose research activities cover a broad spectrum of studies, in
terms of
countries, periods, and disciplines. There is, however, no
internationally
recognised journal in Europe encompassing within its covers the whole
range of East Asian studies as there is in the United States. We believe
that
European East Asia scholars, by virtue of their own history,
intellectual
traditions, and specific relations with the region, offer a different
perspective to that of American scholars and make an original
contribution
to East Asian studies. Until now, they have been able to reach
international recognition principally through publications in American
journals, for which most of them compete at an obvious linguistic
disadvantage. A European journal will be better equipped to take into
account this issue of language. It should be made clear here that we do
not
claim any kind of Euro-centred intellectual superiority, nor do we want
to give the impression of an anti-American posture. On the contrary, we
acknowledge the overwhelming contribution of American scholars to
contemporary East Asian studies. The sole purpose of the initiators of
this project is to create a new intellectual arena that will publish the
best
contributions of European scholarship on contemporary East Asia, without
excluding contributions from other parts of the world. We believe in
intellectual competition and stimulation. The journal will, therefore,
welcome high-quality research, whatever its origin.
The journal will be interdisciplinary in nature, dedicated to the
publication of scholarly research across the range of the social
sciences -- including sociology, geography, anthropology, economics,
political
science, and law -- as well as modern history. We take the term "modern"
to refer approximately to the last two hundred years. The journal makes
no
commitment to any particular trend in scholarly research, but it will be
receptive to all the current approaches in Asian studies. Our
geographical compass will take in "East Asia" in a broad sense, that is
to say the
groups of countries usually included in Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Laos,
Cambodia, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, and the
Philippines) and Northeast Asia (China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan). One of
the major obstacles that has prevented the emergence of such a journal
is
undeniably the absence of a common language among European scholars. The
initiators of this project believe that English has become the universal
language in East Asian studies. The journal will be devoted mainly to
original research based on the first-hand study of primary materials
and/or fieldwork. It will also welcome theoretical essays that offer
new, synthetic visions and
perspectives from the field. We hope to strike a balance between
coherence (to make the journal attractive to a wide readership) and
spontaneity
(to allow for competition and attract first-rate contributions). To this
end, we shall publish six papers per issue (initially with two issues
per
year).
Three of them may be devoted to a "special theme" (a list of three
themes is offered below) while another three will be individual
contributions.
These are of course guidelines, conceived as a general strategy for the
initial issues. Research notes will also be welcome, though under a
specific format. The journal will include a section for book reviews,
concentrating on significant works written by European scholars. The
first issue will be published in early 2001.

The European Journal of East Asian Studies welcomes from today the
submission of manuscripts from scholars on all aspects of East Asian
societies as defined in the announcement. Authors should feel free to
contact the editors fo further information [EJEAS at ish-lyon.cnrs.fr]

Special themes: besides papers on any topic within the fields defined in
the previous sections above, the editors will invite contributors to
submit papers on special themes. These themes will be defined in a
separate
announcement.

Editors :

Christian Henriot
Institut d'Asie Orientale
Lyon, France
E-mail: christian.henriot at ish-lyon.cnrs.fr

Paul Waley
School of Geography
University of Leeds
Leeds, Great Britain
E-mail: p.waley at geog.leeds.ac.uk

Book review editor:

Philippe Pelletier
Institut d'Asie Orientale
Lyon, France
E-mail: philippe.pelletier at ish-lyon.cnrs.fr

Editorial  secretariat

Marie-Pierre Fuchs
Institut d'Asie Orientale
Lyon, France
E-mail: iao at ish-lyon.cnrs.fr

Editorial Committee
of the
European Journal of East Asian Studies

Pablo Bustelo, economy, Complutense University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Alain Delissen, history, Centre Corée, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en
Sciences Sociales, Paris, France
Thomas Heberer, political science, Gerhard-Mercator-University,
Duisburg,Germany
Christian Henriot, history, Institut d'Asie Orientale, Lumière-Lyon2
University, Lyon, France
Irene Norlund, anthropology, Nordic Institute of Asian Studies,
Copenhagen, Denmark
Philippe Pelletier, geography, Institut d'Asie Orientale, Lumière-Lyon2
University, Lyon, France
Gerard Persoon, anthropology, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
Philippe Régnier, political science, Modern Asia Center, Geneva
University, Geneva, Switzerland
Guido Samarani, history, Ca' Foscari University, Venice, Italy
Jonathan Rigg, geography, University of Durham, United Kingdom
Stig Thogersen, history, Aarhus University, Denmark
Paul Waley, geography, Leeds University, Leeds, United Kingdom

GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION OF MANUSCRIPTS

Manuscripts: Manuscripts should normally not exceed 10,000 words in
length.
Articles should be typewritten double-spaced with footnotes, references,
tables, charts, photographs and other illustrations on separate pages.
Footnotes and bibliography should follow the style sheet of the journal.
Copies of the style sheet may be obtained from the editors upon request.
An abstract of 100-150 words should also be provided for on-line
diffusion
and promotion.

Manuscripts should be submitted in triplicate to the editorial office:
EJEAS Institut d'Asie Orientale - ISH
14, av Berthelot
69363 Lyon cedex 07
France
Tel. 33 - (0)472 72 65 40
Fax 33 - (0)472 72 64 90

E-mail: EJEAS at ish-lyon.cnrs.fr

A copy of the final revised manuscript saved on an IBM or Mac compatible
disk should be included with the final revised hard copy. Submission of
a manuscript is taken to imply commitment to publish in the journal and
that it is not currently being considered elsewhere. Manuscripts should
not
have been published elsewhere in substantially similar form or with
substantially similar content. Authors in doubt about what constitutes
prior publication should consult with the editors.

Manuscript review procedure: all articles received are sent anonymously
to two referees who are asked to respond within 30 days. Our policy is
respond to authors within two months.

Book reviews:   book for reviews and correspondence concerning reviews
should be sent to the book review editor, Philippe Pelletier, at the
editorial address above. Unsolicited book reviews are not accepted.

Inquiries about materials for possible publication and correspondence to
the editors should be sent to EJEAS' editorial postal and e-mail address
above. We kindly urge authors NOT to use the editors' personal e-mail
address for correspondence related to the journal.

Christian HENRIOT
Directeur

Institut d'Asie Orientale
MRASH