[KS] Re: Our Biases

Linda Goddard goddard_linda at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 23:40:04 EST 1999

Dear Jacqueline Pak,

I wanted to participate in the "Collaboration" discussion, often having
a difficult time remaining silent because it's an area for which I have
a great deal of concern, but I didn't for two reasons: I don't YET have
enough expertise to participate, and I didn't have time to respond
thoughtfully and thoroughly then because I was preparing to go to San
Francisco for a doctoral class.

What I've wanted to say to you, though, is how very much I enjoyed all
the ways you engaged that discussion and also the ways you maintained a
thoughtful and sensitive intellectual approach to a difficult, complex
subject. I sensed that you were not trying to set up an adversary
discussion, and when it seemed that some who took part in it were, you
addressed those issues well. You handled that discussion well in the
face of some not so thoughtful and sensitive remarks.

I'd like to stay in touch with you. I'm doing my doctoral studies on
Cross Cultural Literary Studies. I have many areas of interest
concerning Korean literature. Here are two: the poetry of contemporary
Korean women as it reflects "Han" and the emigration experiences of
Korean women who emigrated to the U.S. during the late 1800's and early
1900's -- any poetry, as well as nonfiction (journals) that might have
grown out of those emigration experiences. I live in Taejon, South Korea
(until June), so you can contact me via email.

I look forward to hearing about your work, Jacqueline.
Linda Goddard

>>Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 11:31:44 -0500
>

>Dear List,
>
>I agree that we should allow ourselves to be self-critical of our own
>scholarship in Korean Studies in the past for the progress and
development
>of better future.  Including my own numerous shortcomings and
weaknesses as
>a human being and junior revisionist scholar, I may be so bold enough
>venture into this territory since I appear to be inadvertently
responsible
>for this controversy from the start.
>
>It may be difficult and possibly unfair to generalize about "white
>American", or "white male American", Koreanists who came of age in the
>sixties, just as about "Korean" or "Korean-American" scholars.  Korean
>Studies as we know today would not exist without the rich contributions
of
>so many anti-Viet Nam war protestors who went to Korea as peace corps
>volunteers and learned about Korea with affection and concern for the
>country and returned to America and developed this thriving field of
>knowledge and discipline. And they have not only pursued topics in
history
>but certainly other areas as well with a sense of vigor and commitment.
>
>Yet, Gene raises a valid and worthwhile point to ponder, and
increasingly,
>I suspect that we have to squarely face this issue in Korean Studies.
My
>own call for new paradigmatic possibilities was, in essence, addressing
>this very problematique that we simply cannot avoid or escape, i.e., to
>assess and critique the limitations and problems of the existing
>historiography in the process of a paradigmatic shift toward new and
better
>understanding.  How can this process ever be stilled?
>
>From the outset, when I spoke of the need to be careful about the issue
of
>collaboration, I was referring to this problematique.  Certainly, there
>have been problems with an earlier representation of colonial history
and
>collaboration by this generation of historians.
>
>To discuss an example I know, An Ch'angho had been represented and
>understood as a gradualist and pacifist. From my scrutiny, it turns out
>that An promoted military action all his life in the Far East.  Both Yi
>Kwangsu and An Ch'angho had been considered together as "cultural
>nationalists", or that Yi's Minjok kaejoron influenced by An Ch'angho
was
>believed to have showed their collective willingness to only work
within
>the colonial framework as "passive collaborationists."  Yet, my
research
>shows that if there ever was 'ilp'yon tansim' patriot and revolutionary
>(who by the way composed a song called Tansimga), this was An Ch'angho
who
>spent most of his activist life as an exile anyway. Tangled with the
>celebrated collaboration case of Yi Kwangsu, a leader of the Korean
>anticolonial movement and the veritable founding father of the republic
>came to be terribly misunderstood!
>
>One does not need to exaggerate the implications of such
misunderstanding