[KS] KSR Administrivia

Stephen Epstein Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Mar 2 20:23:04 EST 1999

Greetings,

Close upon the heels of this message will be the first review of 1999 for
KSR.  Since it's a new year, I've included below our initial announcement
of what Korean Studies Review is about for the many of you have joined the
korean-studies list in the meantime.

Anyone interested in reviewing one of the books below should contact me at
<Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz>; please do not respond to the list as a whole.
Also, those who have recently produced books in Korean Studies and can
contact their publishers to make review copies available should feel free
to get in touch.

Currently up for grabs:

_Strengthened Abilities: Assessing the Vision of Tosan Chang-Ho Ahn_,
ed. by Tschung-Sun Kim and Michael Reinschmidt

_An Introduction to Classical Korean Literature: From Hyannga to Pansori_,
by Kichung Kim

_Nationalism and the Construction of Korean Identity_, ed. by Hyung Il Pai
and Timothy Tangherlini

_A Ready-Made Life: Early Masters of Modern Korean Fiction_, selected and
translated by Kim Chong-un and Bruce Fulton

_College Korean_, by M. Rogers, C. You, and K. Richards

_The Early Lyrics 1941-1960: Poems by So Chong-Ju (Midang)_, Translated and
Introduced by Brother Anthony of Taizé.

_Day-Shine, Poetry by Chong Hyon-jong_, Translated by Wolhee Choe and Peter
Fusco.

Soon to be available will be _My Very Last Possession and Other Stories_,
Pak Wan-sô. Edited by Chun Kyung-Ja.

The initial list announcement:

>We would hereby like to introduce regular book reviews as a new feature to
>the korean-studies list, and even to give this feature a title to make it
>a quasi-formal entity within the field: thus we announce the establishment
>of the electronic Korean Studies Review (KSR), to be published under the
>auspices of the korean-studies list by Stephen Epstein (Victoria
>University of Wellington) and Rob Provine (Durham University).  In this
>forum we will endeavour to provide timely reviews of the latest work in
>Korean Studies. To this end, we will regularly post on korean-studies the
>titles of books that come in to us as list owners and seek qualified
>volunteers to undertake reviews in messages of at least 500 words; at the
>moment we place no upper limit on the word count--detailed posts are very
>welcome.  Compensation for reviewers will come in the form of the book
>itself, along with undying fame and the eternal gratitude of the Korean
>Studies community.

Please note that the korean-studies archives includes several `article'
files.  We will also be archiving all reviews and they will be given a file
name, which will designate the year and number of the contents:  e.g.,
1998.3 would be the third review printed in 1998, and so on.  Reviews will
initally appear as regular list messages, but will also be available via
the web at http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dmu0rcp/ksrmain.htm.

Authors retain copyright but allow KSR to publish, distribute, and archive
the text electronically.  Permission to reproduce the reviews (which are ©
authors) may be broadly presumed, electronically or in a paper journal, on
the condition that full citation information for the KSR version is clearly
indicated in any re-publication.  We do, however, reserve the right to
forbid specific uses we deem harmful to the best interests of the list or
our home institutions.  For questions, send an  email message to
<Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz>

Finally, given discussions of the last year, we should note that the Korean
Studies Review would prefer to use McCune-Reischauer for the
transliteration of Korean....<

Best to all, Stephen