[KS] Re: romanization '99

sangoak sangoak at snu.ac.kr
Wed May 12 06:22:55 EDT 1999

Dear Henny,

Strictly speaking it is rather digraphs (ui or uy) than compound vowels
[u'i] or [u'j]( ' is an approximated mark to a breve), since we are
talking about spelling rather than sound system. As to digraphs we have
problem areas around ¤Ã,¤Ì,¤Ñ,¤À,¤Ä, etc. For instance, ¤Ã : eo, au, and
simply e ; ¤Ì : wu, oo ; ¤Ñ : eu. Many suggestions are welcome on this
issue under the condition that we need two (a set): one for pronouncing
transcription, and the other for transliteration. I personally prefer
the same choice of letters between two. You may also extend this
discussion to consonants for two.

Yours,

Sang-Oak