[KS] Re: romanization '99

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Thu May 20 11:29:07 EDT 1999

Dear Mark:

With all due respect, I found your posting more confusing than helpful.

Let's get a few facts straight here:

All the characters in the "Low ASCII range" are the same in IBM and Mac
fonts. There are differences in the character set of the "High ASCII
range": e.g., you will not find the "1/4" as a single character in Mac
fonts, and you will not find the 'Apple'\ symbol in IBM fonts.  However,
there are also similarities: all the German umlaut characters, for example,
and all the examples I gave in my last posting to the list are the same --
they do perfectly well convert with any text you convert between these two
systems.

For more information you may visit the following Apple site which also
explains the problem with KOREAN fonts (bottom of page):
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Text/Text-30.html

You write that "hundreds of pages of documents" with diacritical marks
"become gibberish" under Korean Windows 95.
Yes, sure, if you use a Korean font it will only display the "lower ASCII
range" characters -- the upper range has been used for Han'gûl.  But why
would you use a Korean font to display non-Korean script?

Frank

>Someone suggested using diacritical marks since they can be made using
>the different computer systems, but there's still the problem of
>converting documents.  I have hundreds of pages of documents that I made
>using the IBM codes for the diacritical marks and these all become
>gibberish when read using Korean Windows 95 as an operating system.
>Even if Mr. Gates finally gets all these problems straightened out,
>there will still be technical problems when converting between systems
>(i.e. Windows to Mac).
Frank Hoffmann * 1961 Columbia Pike #42 * Arlington, VA 22204 * USA
E-MAIL: hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
W W W : http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hoffmann/