[KS] youth subcultures in Korea

Stephen Epstein Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz
Sun May 2 21:02:05 EDT 1999

Dear list members,

I am currently working on a project on the emergence of punk rock in S.
Korea, and my research is leading me into examination of other local youth
subcultures.  Can anyone direct me to any good sources in Korean or English
on the "orange-jok", the Seoul hip hop scene etc.? (Actually, I'm not
picky: if you know of anything in Estonian, Yoruba, Tamil, etc., please
pass that info on as well...)  I am not as concerned with the student
protest movement, but articles that focus specifically on its social
composition or approach it ethnographically would be helpful too.

One thing that I'm finding very interesting is that sociological literature
in the West portrays youth subcultures (e.g. England's teddy boys, mods,
rockers and punks) as a working-class phenomenon, whereas in Korea such
subcultures seem to originate in a middle- and upper-middle class
environment.  Can anyone provide me w/ a counterexample?

Stephen Epstein