[KS] Re: Chosun Engl report on revisions to Romanization

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Wed Nov 17 19:29:14 EST 1999

Dear List

Bruce Grant kindly sent two messages, one purporting to be the official
Digital Chosun English translation of the Korean Chosun Ilbo (sorry: Josun
Ilbo) article.  But if I am reading the Korean right, there is a key and
revealing sentence near the beginning of the Korean version that did not
quite make it into the English version, to wit:

'the basic idea of the change announced on the 17th is to change the
romanization system from a system "for foreigners" to a system "for
Koreans."'

I had suspected this, but it somehow clears the air to see it printed so
bluntly.

Horace H. Underwood, Executive Director
Korean-American Educational Commission (Fulbright)
Seoul, Korea
hhu at fulbright.or.kr