[KS] Fulbright Korean studies lecturers to the US

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Thu Nov 11 19:06:08 EST 1999

Dear Colleagues:

For the third year, the KAEC has advertised, among its Fulbright grant
opportunities, for two people in the "lecturer/researcher" category.  This
category is for Korean faculty members who will be screened and funded by
KAEC to go teach (and do some research) at some university in the U.S. for
the academic year 2000-01.  Specifically, our announcement called for
applicants who could teach about Korea within their own discipline, and who
could teach in English.

Now we are to the point of screening applicants.  There are not as many as
last year, but there are applicants in the fields of linguistics, economics,
political science, and urban planning.  These are applicants, of course, not
yet screened.  Any given field may end up with no one "qualified."
However, in the process of screening and taking names to our Board and
recommending to Fulbright in Washington for final approval, it is useful to
know what the needs are in the US universities.  Last year I sent out a
similar message and received replies that resulted eventually in six firm
offers of places to host Korean lecturers.  Our three lecturers eventually
went to three of those places.

Does anyone know of any American university departments which might wish a
Korean faculty member for a one-year appointment (2000-01) to teach about
Korea, one or
(preferably) two courses per term?  If you do not know yourself for sure but
you know of someone or some other department who MIGHT be looking (but is
not represented on the Korean-Studies Listserv), please tell me the email
address and I will contact that person or department directly.

As for funding, the principle is that the two lecturers are fully funded by
Fulbright.  We provide transportation, a stipend, a dependents' allowance if
applicable, etc.  Of course we welcome shared support if the institution has
funding (eg. at the adjunct level for the courses being taught), but we do
not require it.  Our purpose is to help the development of Korean studies in
the U.S., a field which I think is seldom overfunded.  The period of support
is one academic year (ten months.)

The obligation of the receiving U.S. university would be to have the
visiting Korean Fulbright lecturer teach one or two courses per semester or
term, to provide normal administrative support such as ID cards, library
access, assistance with arranging appropriate housing (at the grantee's
expense), and (presumably)  office space.  As the lecturers are actually
lecturer/researchers, it would be useful if there were opportunities for
research and for discussions with colleagues, though the lecturers are
told that they cannot expect to do research at a location away from their
teaching assignments during the term.

Please let me know right away if you or people you know are interested.

Horace H. Underwood, Executive Director
Korean-American Educational Commission (Fulbright)
Seoul, Korea
hhu at fulbright.or.kr