[KS] Re: Using han'gul fonts

Joshua Margolis jmargoli at nimbus.ocis.temple.edu
Tue Nov 9 20:13:34 EST 1999

The short and best answer is that you shouldn't upgrade from one language
version to another. The best thing would be to do a clean install with
Korean Windows.

I don't think there's any way around the problem you described, but if
you're daring AND have a current backup of your data, you can try this.
Using the full version CD, you can 'trick' the setup program into performing
an 'upgrade' in the sense that it will preserve your current registry
settings. This is also useful when you need to reinstall Windows but don't
want to have to reinstall all your programs. Here's how. Boot into MS-DOS
mode. Make sure you have your CD-ROM drivers loaded so you can access the CD
(or alternatively copy the CD onto your hard drive first). Go into your
Windows directory and delete "win.com" (or just rename it to something
else). Then run setup.exe. It'll install Windows on what it thinks is a
clean system, but it will also maintain your registry settings. Precisely
because an upgrade maintains your registry settings, I don't think it's a
good idea to try to change language versions while upgrading, though feel
free to try it at your own risk.

Josh