[KS] Re: On Silhak(practical Philosophy)

Don Baker dbaker at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Nov 12 13:21:16 EST 1999

I hate to blow my own horn, but one place to look
for English translations of the writings
of Sirhak writers is volume 2 of the Sourcebook
of Korean Civilization. There is one selection
by Ch'oe Han'gi and several by Tasan and other
sirhak thinkers. There are also at least a
couple of translations of Ch'oe Han'gi's work
available in Korean, as well as a study of
his work by Kim Yongok called Tok kihaksol.

As for Tasan, there are plenty of translations
of his works available in Korean as well
as a study in English by Mark Setton. However,
I know of nothing by Tasan or Ch'oe Han'gi
available on the internet.

The Korean Journal has also published a number
of articles about Tasan as well as a few
translations over the years.
--
Don Baker
Associate Professor, Asian Studies