[KS] Re: Chosun Ilbso Romanization Article

Didier Barbas db at ccifc.com
Wed Nov 17 23:48:26 EST 1999

--MS_Mac_OE_3025777706_1055031_MIME_Part

   5.  "they [the breve and the apostrophe] are unavailable on computer
keyboards.":  By the way, despite repeated claims to this effect, the
apostrophe is still alive and well on the computer keyboard.  Although
vowels with the breve are available in the widely used TrueType fonts, it
might be better to use the circumflex, which can be very simply added to
vowels with keyboard shortcuts in MS Word and probably in other up-to-date
word processors and is on the keyboard as the separate symbol ^.

=> Always the same problem to decide whether technology is here to help us
or the other way round...
Frank Hoffmann and others (including myself) made it happen. The breve is on
my keyboard, whatever the software I use. If ignorant foreigners can do
it...

Didier Barbas

--MS_Mac_OE_3025777706_1055031_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Chosun Ilbso Romanization Article</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
    5.  "they [the breve and the apostrophe] are u=
navailable on computer keyboards.":  By the way, despite repeated =
claims to this effect, the apostrophe is still alive and well on the compute=
r keyboard.  Although vowels with the breve are available in the widely=
 used TrueType fonts, it might be better to use the circumflex, which can be=
 very simply added to vowels with keyboard shortcuts in MS Word and probably=
 in other up-to-date word processors and is on the keyboard as the separate =
symbol ^.<BR>
<BR>
=3D> Always the same problem to decide whether technology is here to help =
us or the other way round...<BR>
Frank Hoffmann and others (including myself) made it happen. The breve is o=
n my keyboard, whatever the software I use. If ignorant foreigners can do it=
...<BR>
<BR>
Didier Barbas</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3025777706_1055031_MIME_Part--