[KS] Two letters on romaja to the Chosun Ilbo

Bruce Grant korealet at xmission.com
Tue Nov 23 08:52:22 EST 1999

11/23(í™”) 17:21

  Romanization of Korean
Dear Editor:

I read your NATIONAL article, Romanization controversies
(11/21/1999, Digital CHOSUN ILBO) with a great interest. It is
about time to revisit the transliteration issue of Korean
language to English. However, the nationalistic position that the
National Language Research Institute has taken for developing the
standard for romanization of the Korean language is misguided and
nonsensical. Transliteration of the Korean language is the means
to open the linguistic door for foreigner to Korea but has
nothing directly to do with the identity, pride and integrity of
the language. It should be simply a mechanism for better learning
Korean language and culture.

National standard for traansliteration of the Korean language is
important in rapidly globarizing world. This involves two
aspects, 1) from Korea to foreign language and 2) from forereign
language to Korean, both of which need national standards that
help promote Korea's cultural and economic interests in the
highly competitive world. As language is a culture that is
rapidly evolving, the transliteration is a vehicle for better
understanding of Korea by foreigners but benefitting both Koreans
and foreigners alike. Thus, the criteria and standard of
transliteration must be directed to convenience and practicality
and should not have any nationalistic consideration. Naturally,
foreigners will follow the national standard established by the
Korean government no mater what the final version may be adopted.
It is therefore Korea's interest to establish the rominization
standard that is simple, easy to use, and correctly represent the
pronunciation of Korean words. I sincerely hope that the National
Language Review Committee will seriously consider these points
before making the final ruling on the national standard for Roman
transliteration of Korean language.

K. C. Kim State College, PA U. S. A.

---------------

Copyright (c)1995-98, Digital Chosunilbo All rights reserved.
Contact letters at chosun.com for more information.

11/23(í™”) 17:36

  Romanization of Korean II
Hi! my name is Bob Cowger of Poteet Texas, USA I have read with
interest about the romanization of the Korean Language. I realize
that commerical interests throughout the world and the use of
computers requires a closer use of the roman alphabet. However, I
am Cherokee Indian. In 1825, Sequoyah (a silversmith) spent 9
years devising a syllabary for the printed use of the Cherokee
indian language. Within, 5 years 90% of those who spoke Cherokee
could read and write. But there were problems, about the same as
you are having with the romanization. Cherokee is polyphonic, we
use 4 levels of voice. Sequoyah in devising a written language
failed to place diacritical marks to raise the voice level. One
would have to know the language to be able to read it or even to
make sense of it. Please do not change. I was in Korea during
1952 to 1954 and loved being there. (I hated the war)but really
appreciated the beauty of your written language. After being
raised on the Sequoyan Syllabary, I could appreciate the use of
the Korean written language and the simplicity of vowel
placement. Do not change it too much.