[KS] Re: NAKL's New Romanization Proposal

Maite Diez maite18 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 09:51:24 EST 1999

Thank you for a well-argued piece that emphasizes the
real use of romanization: practicality for Koreans.
How can we pretend to actualize every breath of a
language in print? The spoken word in any language can
never be fully captured by these two-dimensional
chicken scratches we call "writing".
Meanwhile, Koreans need a "transliteration they can
read and write reasonably fast."
Until our print capabilities catch up with the
evolution of our communication systems, I will support
the form that functions best for the people who use it
most.
More power to the scholars who continue to strive for
the most accurate system of writing breath.
Thank you again, Mr. Cheong

Maite Diez

--- otfried at cs.ust.hk wrote:

>  > There is an old American saying, "If it ain't
> broke, don't
>  > fix it."
>
> Dear list,
>
> I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with much of what
> has been said on
> the new proposed romanization scheme.  The argument
> "McCune-Reischauer
> isn't broken, don't fix it" is perhaps the most
> obvious fallacy.  Yes,
> M-R works well for publications in Korean studies,
> but it has been an
> abysmal failure in Korea.  To put it bluntly, except
> for some
> government publications, traffic signs and maps, M-R
> simply isn't used
> in Korea at all.  Yes, you can get MsWord to show a
> circumflex instead
> of a breve, but how is that going to help you when
> you need to enter
> your Korean address at Amazon.com?  I bet you aren't
> using M-R there
> either.  Koreans are in dire need of a
> transliteration scheme that
> works for their purposes, and any claims to the
> contrary will only
> stop them from listening to contributions to a
> better system.
>
> The other main argument "transliteration is mostly
> for foreigners" is
> as obviously false.  Contrary to what some people
> believe, most users
> of Korean transliteration schemes are Koreans.
> There are far more
> Koreans living outside Korea than foreigners living
> in Korea.  Korean
> companies are everywhere on the globe.  They need to
> be able to do
> business and handle administrative tasks such as
> getting registered in
> foreign countries.  The breves and accents have been
> a nightmare to
> them.
>
> I know what I am talking about, since my birthtown's
> name contains an
> umlaut, and I still wonder every time I fill in an
> immigration form
> how I'm supposed to write it.  Sure, MsWord allows
> you to use the
> circumflex instead of the breve, but how does that
> help you when
> trying to get the bank name right on the telegraphic
> transfer form?
> Some of my colleagues have names with accents or
> umlauts, and find
> them crippled at every conference I meet them.  A
> Czech colleague has
> completely given up on the hacek on his last name.
> Even in the
> recently (re)published version of Gari Ledyard's PhD
> thesis (done with
> modern electronic typesetting), the accents are
> typeset awfully.
>
> Have you ever met a Korean who romanizes her name
> with a breve?  I
> suspect the Korean foreign ministry wouldn't even
> issue such a
> [...]
=== message truncated ===