[KS] Re: Yun Isang

cmedlico at ucla.edu cmedlico at ucla.edu
Wed Oct 27 19:26:50 EDT 1999

At 06:02 PM 10/27/1999 +0100, you wrote:

Further, as per Charles Armstrong's request, I forwarded his message to
Kim Jeongmee,  recent Ph.D here at UCLA, who did indeed do her dissertation
on Yun Isang.  She is a good friend of mine.  Perhaps she will respond to
Prof. Armstrong directly.

Carol Medlicott, Ph.D candidate, UCLA

>As per Charles Armstrong's request, materials on Yun Isang:
>
>Hans-Werner Heister and Walter-Wolfgang Sparrer (eds), 1987. Der Komponist
Isang Yun:  München: edition text+kritik.
>Oyang yôn'guso (eds),  1994. Na ûi kil, na ûi isang, na ûi ûmak (My Path,
My Ideals, My Music). Yun Isang ûmak mihak kwa ch'ôlhak. Seoul: Tosô
ch'ulp'an HICE.
>Isang Yun. Festschrift zum 75. Geburstag 1992. Berlin: Bote and Bock.
>Walter-Wolfgang Sparrer,  1992.  'Isang Yun,' in Hanns-Werner Hester and
Walter-Wolfgang Sparrer (eds), Komponisten der Gegenwert: 1992ff. München:
edition text+kritik.
>Rinser, Luise and Isang Yun,  1977. Der verwundete Drache. Dialog über
Leben und Werk des Komponisten. Frankfurt: S. Fischer.
>Yi Suja, 1998. Nae namp'yôn Yun Isang. Seoul: Ch'angjak kwa pip'y^øngsa. 2
vols.
>Ssi-ol (The journal of the Internationale Isang Yun Gesellschaft).
>
>Also, there is a PhD dissertation on Yun (musicology) by Kim Jong Mi that
was submitted at UCLA earlier this year.

>Yun also has an entry in Contemporary Composers (1st edition, St James
Press, 2nd edition, Gale), and in the forthcomng New Grove Dictionary of
Music and Musicians II (Macmillan, 2000).

>One volume of Ssi-ol, containing papers presented at the 1997 conference in
Berlin, is in press. A symposium on Yun and his music will be held in
Stuttgart from 3-7 November 1999 (ouch! I had better finish my paper).
Walter-Wolfgang Sparrer is the guy to contact for all matters to do with
Yun, at wwsparrer at t-online.de, but I know he was due to leave Berlin for
Stuttgart yesterday, so he may not answer EMails for a while....